Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

@HairyFool, iI don't have the sound issues, but that's right for bbc news, they don't have regional newsHD channel. It's just national. It's like that when watching Bbc1hd, and local news comes on, you have to turn over the standard definition BBC 1. 

cozzykim

@Stevevalo

I can't see any reference to a specific date for the YouView update on the update schedule pages, it just says "end of August"

Was today's date specified in an earlier schedule maybe?

It would be nice to get an update today, but I'm not holding my breath. :slight_frown: 

profile.country.GB.title
Stevevalo

@cozzykim

Only thing is the posting on the bottom of page 63 by @andeso...

"It was an email reply from Sony support.

"This issue will be fixed in next software release (OTA5). Target date is Aug 17th.""

thmoore59
Explorer

After my convo with Sony this morning they are saying middle of next month for the YOUVIEW update!

danielbeyzade

Why am I not suprised. It's shocking behaviour really. Saying that... I would be pleased if they make what is there now work properly. Im guessing they are so back logged with all the bugs, they haven't been able to push the new features along. We are stilling having to do regular hard resets or video playback is stuttering using any app.

In my opinion we should all group together and sue them for not keeping to what we were promised by Sony's advertising materials.

elraouk

I'd be happy to get my money back.... 
cozzykim

My suspicion, being familiar with several flavours of Android, is that the implementation of Android TV is what's flaky. Android can be flaky at the best of times, as it's distributed across a lot of different hardware.

Even my Nexus 5 has problems, the Photos app, Hangouts and Google+ won't run, they crash on startup.

If Google can't make a Nexus 5 work reliably, it doesn't surprise me that Sony are having teething problems.

What's important is that they maintain the update policy until it's fixed, and then we should have an amazingly flexible and good quality entertainment hub that looks like a TV (no, I don't work for Sony, in fact I took the first one I bought back to Currys)

I really hope that Sony realise the potential of this platform.

cozzykim

Here's a thought, I wonder if it's possible to get a screenshot from this TV with some variation of the Lollipop Vol Down>Power button combnation?

quasimaddboy
Explorer

Fortunately (after a load of trial and error) I found how you can remove unwanted channels from your channel list.  This only works one way (you cant get them back without rescanning all channels). 

Go to Settings --> go to Channel setup --> go to Digital (assume you are using digital signal) setup --> go to Digital Tuning go to Programme List Edit.  Here you can run through all the channels you have tuned in and remove them.  You can also reorder them.

If (as was in my case) thie "Programme List Edit" option is not selectable then it may be some sort of locking setting that your service provider has asked for.  So what I did to resolve this is to re-scan for all channels and when you are asked to select your TV service provider, select instead "Other" and then do a quick (or full) scan.  This will scan all frequencies and can take longer but it should result in a fully editable list of channels which you can then prune.

Similarly, if you get a bunch of radio channels also tuned in then you can use "Programme List Edit" to remove them but ONLY if you enter the settings menu when you have a radio channel tuned in as the active channel (!)

Not the simplest process but at least it works!!!

andrewsoong

I think this might be a bit pointless as the epg will be replaced by Youview at some point this month. Assuming it's not delayed again.