Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Stevevalo

@andrewsoong

Is that the EPG for the terrestrial channels only or will it cover the Satellite EPG as well?

andrewsoong

Terrestrial only I think.

thmoore59
Explorer

Heres a strange one im hoping someone can shed some light :grin:

i have gone on my GoogleApp store and it says i have Google Photo installed however i cannot find the App anywhere?

Whats the best way of viewing photos from your Laptop to the TV (please dont suggest USB) im far to lazy!

cozzykim

You can:

1. Either use screen casting by adding 'google cast' to your extensions in Chrome to cast web pages, I haven't experimented with using Chrome to view my local photo folders yet (I use Linux) but it should be possible to do this and cast the screen to the TV.

2. Set up a DLNA/uPNP server on your PC. There are many ways to do this but here's one:

http://www.howtogeek.com/215400/how-to-turn-your-computer-into-a-dlna-media-server/

You can then use the TV menus to look for media from any local DLNA/uPNP servers to display on the screen.

You can also use PLEX or Kodi as a uPNP client on the TV.

HTH

andrewsoong

Upload them all to Google Photos and use the Google Photos app on TV. Apparently Google Photos is avaiable on TV - It says so on Google Play but I'm not at home to test.

cozzykim

I've just spent half an hour using all the tricks I know to find Google Photos, and I can't find it.

It's not shown on Play store and it's not in the list of installed or running apps.

I've looked through the apps using ES File Explorer too.

The only similar app is the Sony cloud app for photos 'Album'

Am I missing the obvious?

thmoore59
Explorer

I agree it says on the TV, and on my laptop that Google photo is installed on my TV however I cannot find the app anywhere, it also says the following on the App Store that I've never seen before 

"no carrier Sony Bravia 4k".  Not too sure what the no carrier is about

thmoore59
Explorer

It's on my purchased apps on the TV?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

No carrier means exactly what it says : it is a device with no sim and related operator branded firmware
profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi all,

I am so sorry for my long absence. I have been enjoying a couple of days off.

Let me have a look what the latest status and info is on the next over the air update.

Hopefully I will be able to share something later today.

Kindest regards

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)