Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
cozzykim

"No carrier" is telling you that the TV is not a phone.

I don't believe that Google Photos is installed on the TV, I think that you're seeing your app history from other devices on your Google account. That doesn't mean that all of them can be installed on the TV.

dennmunn
Explorer

Is there an on line manual for theKD-43X830XC Bravia smart tv yet?

dennmunn

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Did you try:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KD-43X8305C#Manuals

Cheers

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
haberdavid

I have the 65w859c and i am trying to cast youtube from my android phone

the phone is connected to the same wifi and detect the tv but it only transfer the sound but there is no picture.

any solution someone?

Thanks

I've just tried a Philips Android TV, and it is by far a WAY better
experience! The software is fast and responsive and seems stable (remote/TV
respons to everything it's told and in a pace) and games run with no
problem in 30 fps or more (Minion Rush) which is barely playable on my Sony
W809!??

What the heck? Bad software port for Sony or did we buy a overpriced piece
of hardware which is way too underpowered??
andrewsoong

Well they didn't rush theirs out I suppose. Also I bet they haven't pre-loaded a bunch of apps people will never use onto it.

I'm tempted to return mine and get a Philips one instead as I use Hue lighting in my house but I'd rather this Sony for Youview assuming it ever comes.

cozzykim

I've just been looking at the Philips Android TV site, their equivalent to my KD-55X8509C has a dual core processor.

I hate to say this, but every Philips product I've ever owned has been unreliable.

I once even bought a Philips CRT colour TV that failed straight out of the box.

I currently have two MCi500h Streamium music cntres, one has blown up due to poor quality components in the PSU. I also have two Streamium players, one doesn't work properly.

I don't trust Philips quality control, I personally wouldn't buy another Philips TV.

Having said that, I'm sitting here watching Stargate Atlantis on Netflix, in glorius upscaled HD and the sound is way out of sync through the HT-XT1 sound base, and I'm getting fed up with it.

Part of the problem is that we aren't getting enough feedback from Sony to improve our confidence in this product.

spockfish
Explorer

Spot on. I think the problem is not the issues that the software has. Everyone knows that AndroidTV is very young, and it is a Google product that know a long period of 'stabilization'. It is Sony that treats this 'old school'. Yeah they have a forum, but no public issue tracker, no feedback from development *directly* etc.

And this 'old school' behaviour is based on fear. Wake up guys, it is 2015. Customers have a lot of knowledge, and are also not afraid to speak out. The only thing you need to understand is that:

a) customers (in general) do not have an issue with the fact they own a product that has software bugs

b) customers do hoever expect to be informed (in detail!) about progress being made.

The sad thing is that this is all rather 'easy' to implement, because I'm pretty sure the development team wouldn't mind to become 'more visible'. It is management that is blocking this kind of approach.

Wake up.

lesking70

Hi all, I just thought I'd jump back in on this thread, I was commenting when it first started, I got my x85c on release,  now this is just my opinion on the tv and I'm not trying upset anyone, I've seen plenty off people jump ship over the past weeks to Samsung,  and now recently Philips, again just my opinion but neither off these brands come anywhere near the visual goodness off my x85c, the upscale is brilliant,  particularly watching blu-rays on the ps4 mainly Disney films are stunning, and the other day watching star wars episode v, I was truly impressed, not only blu-rays but watched indiana Jones on BBC one,  amazing! So thanks to the person that posted the rtings link,  I had mega amounts of issues when I first received my tv, reading through the forum, it looks like I'm lucky, as the updates that came through really sorted my tv out, I am glad I've persevered with it, but i totally understand the frustration and why some people have sent theirs back, but Samsung and Philips are just the same as Sony, they don't care about customers,  their support is crap, and the tv's have just as many problems,  just read the forums,  that's just my experience with my TV,  and there is room to improve, I just wanted to give credit when credit is due, it's people like Nico that keep my faith in Sony, showing that some Sony employees care about the customers 

profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

I love my TV. The picture quality is most probably the best I have ever enjoyed.

HD is defintley HD.

But it's just the silly little niggles that are getting to me.

And Sony customer supports automatic respense to a problem of "carry out a reset".