Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
cozzykim

The picture quality and Sony hardware reliability are why I took the first 49X8309 back to the shop (because of the flaky OS and missing features) and then went back two weeks later and bought a 55X8509

thmoore59
Explorer

It is deffo installed,

home>setting>TV>apps>downloaded apps>Photos 

however when i load it its rotated the wrong way! Forced stopped and reloaded and it worked with all my photos, however I need to use the iPad remote to use the mouse feature

cozzykim

That's weird, the only downloaded apps I have are the ones I've downloaded myself: ES File Explorer, Kodi, and Tunein Radio.

I can't find Photos on the G PLay store either :thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
gamorga69
Explorer

Plus it's crazy in this day and age, we have no way of interacting with Sony to submit bugs and communicate software issues.

Tried speaking with a guy on the phone at Sony no idea about software bugs, ok I realise I'm in the computing profession but come on, in this day and age....

andrewsoong

The Launcher just had an update. Bug fixes apparently. It seems nippier. Not sure if that's just placebo.

andrewsoong

You can find it if you search for it on Google Play through the browser. Then you can push it to the TV. 

It doesnt appear in the apps list for me, only through settings, and I have the same portrait issue as the person above so I wouldn't bother installing now to be honest. Looks like another case of Google ignoring their own platform. 

cozzykim

Ha, Opera Browser, that's another major issue IMHO, it's horrible, I've always hated Opera.

I hate the way that the Bookmarks, History bar keeps dropping down when I accidentally move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen, and it won't scroll down in some pages. I managed to access my Google Photos page in the browser but it won't scroll down past the first few lines.

Why can't we have Chrome?

I'll try the push install though, thanks.

MasaruIbuka
Explorer

Install the Rotation Locker app to prevent apps from using the Portrait Mode.
Apps for Tablets and Smartphones, which use touchscreen controls, like Chrome, can only be really used with a mouse on Android TV.

rdlowry

You can install any app by side loading. I've been using HALauncher to
launch side loaded apps, it has the option to force apps into landscape
mode which is handy.
cozzykim

OK, I got it installed and rotated by using an M1 Airmouse to navigate through the startup help screens.