Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
DaM3k0n

Sorry sony, I dont beleive a word you say...  Ill keep my TV for a few more weeks unitl I can find a suitable replacement, then its going back.. never again shall a sony product make it into my house!

SingingDwarf

@ZombieFried777 Wow! You got your money back from Amazon and got to keep the TV!? Amazing! How did you manage that?!

profile.country.GB.title
Dazrise3

Has anyone got the email address for the main man at Sony. i missed it a few days ago.

As the 49 inch has dropped £500 im keen to see what he has to say.

Heckie

Surely the 'issues' can be fixed then release update tomorrow, Thursday etc. The set date makes me suspicious. Very disappointed in the delays and regretting buying this TV.

profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

thanks for the advice re JL returns, will get back on to them and get this tv off my hands

Nibor99

Peter,

Thank you taking an interest (and hopefully action) in the concerns of the members of this forum.

I have been following the trials of Sony Android TV owners ever since I purchased my KD43 X8309CBU in August 2015.

I currently use the TV basically as a monitor for my Virgin Media TIVO box and have a relatively straightforward soundbase to improve the sound quality.  This means that I have not suffered many of the issues others have struggled with - however in the future I had intended to move to a non Virgin system and consequently I have been interested in developments with your Android system.

I would say that I have been extremley disappointed with the Sony Customer care response. - Following difficulties in trying to get a decently sharp and smooth picture (The vast majority of presets were "soft") I did try and return the TV to Currys within in about 17 days of purchase - they did speak to Sony directy on my behalf and Sony promised a call from an engineer to arrange a visit - the phone call did come a few days later than promised (we had stayed in for two days  in anticipation!!) but we were out and missed it.

The message that was left gave NO ENGINEERS NAME - and worse NO CALL BACK NUMBER!! - my wife and I in the meantime had managed to aquire a calibration bluray disc and now had something of a watchable picture but I am sure it could be better. As I had already had a number of fruitless phone calls with your customer care team regarding the picture quality I was not prepared for further stress so I have currently let the matter lay.

The TV is still under review and I shall be watching developments with interest.

I think the anticipated fixes of 24th Dec (Christmas Eve) is leaving it a bit late and very risky - If it doesn't go well the VW crisis is likely to pale into insignificance!!

I have registered for direct information regarding Android TV updates and would RECOMMEND THAT ALL FORUM WATCHERS / POSTERS DO THE SAME - perhaps the strength of numbers will finally get some results!!

Peter, please do what you can to satisfy Android TV users - Sony's reputation needs to be restored and quickly!!

gunit1978
Explorer

Sony

Can you please tell me why today for about the tenth time this week when I tried to turn the TV on there is no response at all, the only way to get it to work is to completely unplug it from the wall for 30 seconds, I really don't want to return the tv but its beginning to be a joke now.

alfonzobonzo

Unfortunately I purchaced my KDL-43W756C from Currys, so no 90 day comback period for me.

Also regretting buying this set now, though it is a very nice panel, it is little else.

Seriously dented my SONY brand perception.

andrewsoong

You should argue that it's faulty/not as advertised. Shouldn't be a problem returning it within 12 months.

Was fine for Amazon but Amazon customer service is infinitely better than Currys so may not be as smooth.

alfonzobonzo

I'll not loose hope yet then, I'll give it a try. thanks.