Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Tall.Paul
Explorer

2 issues noticed first thing today, won't boot to the tv (Sky) using ARC and Error message stayed on screen in the home Menu, will try a hard reboot later.

I have to disable "audio passthrough" in PLEX now, jusr to be able to play
anything at all.
I'm getting the mainboard replaced tomorrow, hopefully this will fix a few
things!
Heckie

Google Play movies outputs 5.1 in HE-AACv2.

The TV should support it, I know my amp does (Chromecast/Nexus Player), it just appears that the TV won't pass it via HDMI via ARC....

Suppoted codecs:

http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/caep1/v1/en/contents/TP_codeclist_other.html?search=Codec#section03

profile.country.GB.title
Oddbin
Explorer

I think as factory reset is in order. I never had to on mine after the update but it's seriously night and day to what it was before. Much more responsive and no lip sync issues or anything.

alfonzobonzo

KDL-43W756C

UI seems a bit snappier

I can now play unsupported media types from my Synology NAS by configuring ES File Explorer File Manager and then playing through MXplayer or VLC

No longer have to just use pre-installed movie player app.

So I'm much happier

I can now set program reminders, (precursor to recordign i suppose)

Now I just want HDD recording and I'll be happy. Not fussed about youview or whatever its called (well, I dont think I am anyway, maybe its good, dont know)

No comment on stability so far, only played with it for half an hour or so.

So this is now almost at a level where it should have been, out of the box. :wink:

SDCEGavster

Update completed. (KD-55X8507)

I had no real issues previously with my set-up. One noticable issue now though is BBC iPlayer and the TV intermittently can't loses WiFi connection. 

Haven't done a factory reset yet. 

Otherwise all the same for me.

profile.country.GB.title
Kel520

Ok so did update lastnight.. Things I've noticed.

Overall quicker reponce

Kodi and Netflix now show 5.1 ( there is no setting that I can see for 5.1..just displays it now in the film info)

198 more apps or there abouts

Still no TV guide info showing for me ( might try the famous unplug at the wall for 30 secs !?***)

Guide now shows timer etc

Lip sync I think ok but no 100% sure especially through Kodi

NickCo1979

So here's an interesting question. How can Sony go from pulling the release yesterday and stating a new release date of 28th October, to then releasing the new firmware within a few hours?

I'd guess one of the following:

Scenario 1: Massive kicking on the delay from customers so they've released it with the bugs.

Scenario 2: Worked flat out to fix the bugs and not bothered to go through the full testing cycle, hoping that the fix just works and hasn't caused any regression issues.

Scenario 3: The left hand is in no way connected to the right hand and no-one has a clue what is going on in the business.

Either way all three replies expose the total incompetence of the business and their total lack of ability to deliver a product fit for purpose on time and on budget.

It's comedy gold and it's my new defacto reference for showing clients how not to run a project :grin:

cozzykim

My 55X8509 updated last night, and seemed snappier after I did a cold restart.

I still seemed to have some lip sync issues with Netflix though and this morning the TV wouldn't respond to any remote commands or even the hardware buttons, it was dead, I had to unplug/plug at the mains to get it to start up.

Al_Charles

Bug report.KD55x8509c

lip sync issues, I'm not sure but it's like the sound is ahead of the picture. Only tested this via YouTube so far.