Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
elraouk

You have to return to the retailer. 
paudanie8

Legally how long do I have?

paudanie8

Thank you. 

oh bugger. Just realised I sold the freebies that came with it. Oh well. eBay here we come!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

I don't think anybody wants, or ought to want, YouView to integrate with satellite, any more than Freeview integrates with satellite, and talking about the problem in that way is missing the point.

But I do think it is a reasonable expectation that YouView should work alongside satellite in the same way that Freeview works alongside satellite; i.e. they should at least play nicely side by side, even if they don't play with one another.

But YouView should not be the cuckoo in the nest, pushing the satellite hatchling over the side 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
nodrog47

pm sent 

MonkeyWallace
Explorer

I've just had my call back from Currys and after liasing with their legal team they are 'unwilling' to offer a refund or replacement under the Consumer Rights Act as 'not as advertised'.

When I asked for clarification they said they'd spoken to Sony and Sony were going to be fixing the issues and adding the missing functionalityin due course so therefore it will be 'as advertised'. Obtusely I was also blamed for waiting 4 months before asking for a return (time spent waiting for the features to be added...)

Anyway, not totally unexpected as they'd be opening the floodgates, so I've requested their 'proof' that it is as advertised (as is stipulated by the CRA) so I can raise a dispute and take things from there.

As I bought with a credit card I'll also be going down that route too.

Still, gives us something to do on these long winter nights! :dizzy:

paudanie8

I never buy from Currys. I'd rather pay £100 more and buy it from a proper retailer!

mark-bo

@MonkeyWallace

It might be worth you ringing your local Trading Standards Office for advice. Also you may wish to consider the Small Claims Court if your CC company does not refund you. The advertised features were not included when the sale was made, and some still aren't. OK we are promised them in the future but there is no guarantee that they will arrive before or on the date specified. Remember Youview was promised for the summer. Quite simply none of us bought the product we thought we were buying and that still remains the case at the present time and at the point when you challenged Currys for a refund.  I think they may be interpreting the law somewhat differently to the rest of us.

I am in the same position but I am awaiting Sony's response following my email complaint. Maybe then I will need to go back to my retailer.

elraouk

Sony never admitted they accepted my return as a sog act return, but I think the key was finding a discrepancy in the advertising at the time I purchased it.  For me I think it was that they added the small foot note about Youview and sat/hdd not working together after I bought it.  What you need is the advertising material at the time you purchased it, to prove it was wrong.  Not easy.