Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
mattface

Pull the update, replace bricked sets...

As soon as you get reports of firmware bricking TVs you pull it,slap the QA department upside the head and start working on new firmware.

DarrellM
Explorer

Exactly. It's simply not acceptable to leave us without working units for this period of time without any information on when this will be resolved. 

profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

I hope I'm wrong but I fear Sony will be of little help, the supplier on the other hand is legally obliged to sort your problems. Unfortunately there is however nothing to say how quickly.

It's incomprehensible that a company like Sony are allowing people to suffer in this way, If they don't get it right soon I fear for their very existence.

Presumably this is going on in several countries around the world not just here in the UK, I sense another Volkswagen type ***** up on the horizon!

DarrellM
Explorer

Well I've contacted Currys about this in person at the store, the Sony rep in store and via Currys tech phone line and they've told me It has to be sorted out by Sony. 

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

@xx4L0Mxx

I am aware of being able to create other region accounts, but even then, the PlayStation 4 cannot do full 4K.

If you do indeed buy one on the American store the PlayStation 4 cannot output 4K apart from stills.

Im trying to get the PlayStation Video Ulimited app for the Bravia, hopefully with full access to the Sony Ultra HD 4K library of films. If I unable to get the app for the Bravia with the 4K option I will endeavour to try and get it or port it for Windows 10 64bit, as my PC is fully HDMI 2.0 complaint.

thanks for the input though

like given

kind regards

richard 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@DarrellM wrote:

Well I've contacted Currys about this in person at the store, the Sony rep in store and via Currys tech phone line and they've told me It has to be sorted out by Sony. 

What does?

If you want the set fixed, yes it has to be Sony.

if you want a refund, or a model from an alternative maker, that is Curry's responsibility under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (As Amended), or under the Consumer Rights Act if you bought it on or after 1st October 2015.

Tell Currys that the set is not 'of satisfactory quality' and is not 'fit for purpose'

This is not an obligation they can abrogate.

Impeccable advice here.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
adyjay33

Hi all.

To dmitchel7 that wrote to the CEO of Currys, do you have his email address please?

Please can you PM me with it?

Thanks.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
mattface

Mine was purchased on 9th September, and Amazon are playing the "We are registered in Luxembourg" card which before October 2015 means they are not bound to the UK Sale of goods act, as until then it didn't cover purchases from countries outside the UK.

Awesome.

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Mattface-  Is there no equivalent law for Luxembourg? Perhaps your credit card company could assist - assuming you paid by card...

My Model KD43X8309CBU
profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

Credit card?