Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
chbjerg

Updated without issues. Can't find PAP anywhere  

profile.country.NL.title
FlipStone

Are you using a CI+ module?

Users in the Netherlands are mentioning lots of issues with the CI+ module (zapping to encoded channels gives a black screen with the sound of the channel you came from), which has worked fine for them before...

Not daring to update myself just yet, don't want to screw up tv watching.

Also apparently pauzing is not possible when watching tv, just actually recording (and pauzing if you watch the recording of course) which is kind of a bummer for me too...

chbjerg

No I'm I'm only watching the DVB-C channels that are included with my cable subscription - no CI

Haven't had a chance to try out hdd rec yet

mattface

@DarrellM heard any more from your local repair company yet?

My local Sony dealer took down the details of my TV and Sony have told them not to bother trying to repair it, so instead they are sending me a replacement TV. However that's another 7 WORKING DAYS until the shop gets the TV, and then arrange delivery.

Anyone want to buy a brand new KDL-50W805C for £450 in weeks time?

DarrellM
Explorer

@mattface No the repair company are not coming out until Monday so I'll have to wait and see. 

mattface

@DarrellM

You'd better hope they are bringing a TV with them

DarrellM
Explorer

@mattface I have it on authority that they are going to replace the mainboard. I'm not sure why Sony's repair procedure differs for exactly the same issue...

mattface

@DarrellM

Boggles the mind, doesn't it. You get different levels of service depending where you are in the country. By the way I've been told that after the TV is repaired there can be a discussion about compensation due to the length of time it took for Sony to do anything, so make sure you get onto them about that as it shouldn't only be offered to whose who have called the most.

iamkloot55

go to settings,about and do reset to reactivate remote.

if this doesn't work,unpair remote and do the reset, then pair.

hopefully this problem will be rectified by Sony

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@rooobb wrote:

@dazworld it's your choice, in most of the cases it solves, sometimes not...

Resetting the TV after a firmware update is mandatory on every smart tv brand not only Sony...

It's annoying to set everything again, but I'd prefer that rather than wake up during the night.....

In any case the very first thing any official support will require to do is resetting the TV.

@rooobb I am afraid that that shows how much you are in thrall to Sony, as needing to do a full reset is not remotely acceptable.

Yes, it will make many problems go away, temporarily, and look like a good solution, again temporarily.

But the problems will simply come back, one by one, as the code reverts to its broken state, which it will, as the root causes have not been resolved, as they would be by a proper update, which would not require a full reset.

My Samsungs (and I have six Smart ones) have never required a full reset after an update - they have just continued to get on with it. As will any sensible Smart TV of any make except Sony, and even there of any model except the Android ones.

And yes, official support will ask you to do a full reset. And as I work in tech support (albeit not for Sony, I hasten to add), I know why they do that.

But let me tell you, it's just lazy; and it also obliterates any traces of evidence that might help lead Support to determining why a problem is happening. It might get the customer off the phone, and give you excellent call stats, but as a way of determining the root cause of what went wrong and how it might be fixed, it is valueless, and it blows chunks, Big chunks,

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking