Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@lgcebr wrote:

YouView disabled appears to disable two UK catch up services on the Home screen.

Yes, YouView disabled means two catchup services, ITV Hub and All4 aren't available,

But YouView does not disable them, YouView enables them. So no YouView, neither of these catchup services.

So instead of blaming YouView over them, you should be praising it for providing them.

If you want to blame someone for why they aren't available outside YouView, blame Sony for not doing the deals with ITV and Channel 4.

But don't, please, blame the people who did 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@paulryan37 wrote:

All I can say to those saying they will not do a factory reset after a frimware update is do it it fixed my tv turning itself on. You keep the new firmware just do the factory reset

If a factory reset is required, the update itself should do that, and not pussyfoot around. It does warn you that some of your settings might be destroyed in the update, so why not go the whole hog and destroy all of them?

That it doesn't clearly indicates to me that you are not meant to have to do a factory reset after an update; and so having to is an admission of failure,

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Titch79 wrote:

Only had the TV 6 weeks, think it might have to go by if I can't sort it!

You won't be able to sort it, as you are not doing anything wrong.

Question is, will Sony be able to sort it? And there's a pile of returns in every major UK retailers' warehouses that speaks volumes here.

dataghost
Explorer

I do not have the time nor patience to actively participate in these forums but I am very interested in how all of this pans out.  What I will say is that the performance of Android OS on these TVs is beyond a joke and much of the time they are barely functional.

honestly though a lot of time has passed and quite a few software updates. Have we progressed at all? NO, the TVs are as unstable and sluggish as they were before the very first update.

Regardless of how this all pans out, one thing is for sure, I will never buy a Sony TV again. Even if it turns out future sets are fantastic, the damage done here means I will always chose a competitor unless a software update finally fixes everything. I think the chances of that happening are 10% or less at this point.

chbjerg

I haven't done factory reset either of the 2 times I've updated my X8509, and I have no problems at all (knock on wood). I've never seen the audio delay, nor does my tv turn it self on. I even have daydream enabled. Only time it did turn on by it self was when I had a raspberry pi hooked up to the usb. Apparently the usb does a power cycle sometimes while in standby, turning on the pi, and thus the tv, because of HDMI CEC. ¨

The first couple of days, I had problems turning the set on - it would show no picture, but sound, and after 30 secs restart, and everything was fine. 

Might it be the UK firmware that is just awful, or does anyone other than me, with EU firmware suffer from these problems?

Also, of anyone with the latest EU firmware know how to enter PAP/PIP mode, please let me know. It's driving me crazy... Got the HDD recording to work immediately, and it was great.

profile.country.GR.title
NPatri

Updated to the latest EU firmware and did a factory reset last night. Not much spare time to test yet, but while trying to set the on timer, the remote became unresponsive for some seconds... HDD recording is there and supports up to 4TB (didn't test it).

Jimmyjamh
Explorer

I'm in the UK and I have the KDL50W807 and I haven't experienced any issues at all. I have youview enabled and don't have any sluggishness, no lip sync issues and haven't had it turn on by itself. So far I've got nothing but praise for mine (fingers crossed it continues!).

Sent from my iPhone
Jimmyjamh
Explorer

@chbjerg wrote:

I haven't done factory reset either of the 2 times I've updated my X8509, and I have no problems at all (knock on wood). I've never seen the audio delay, nor does my tv turn it self on. I even have daydream enabled. Only time it did turn on by it self was when I had a raspberry pi hooked up to the usb. Apparently the usb does a power cycle sometimes while in standby, turning on the pi, and thus the tv, because of HDMI CEC. ¨

The first couple of days, I had problems turning the set on - it would show no picture, but sound, and after 30 secs restart, and everything was fine. 

Might it be the UK firmware that is just awful, or does anyone other than me, with EU firmware suffer from these problems?

Also, of anyone with the latest EU firmware know how to enter PAP/PIP mode, please let me know. It's driving me crazy... Got the HDD recording to work immediately, and it was great.

I'm in the UK and I have the KDL50W807 and I haven't experienced any issues at all. I have youview enabled and don't have any sluggishness, no lip sync issues and haven't had it turn on by itself. So far I've got nothing but praise for mine (fingers crossed it continues!).

Hijack77
Explorer

I would like to report a NEW BUG in Sony Android TV (Model: KDL-50W807C)

Conditions:

Timer function set-up to switch on TV at a certain time on Digital TV channel

TV in HDMI or apps mode (Netflix, etc...) when you switch off the TV

TV tuned on Italian DVB-T network

Result:

The TV doesn't switch on at all. (You have to push power on button on the remote)

I think this is definitely a bug. Of course the quick resolution is to remember to switch to digital channels before switching off the TV.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown I could be entralled by Sony ... true but I work in IT too and I'm used to MS products and OS and I think you know what I mean.

So it's annoying to reset a TV? Yes. Should be done everytime and with all those release? No. Could happen also with Sammy? Yes (I already admitted that I did only once in 2 1/2 year, surely their environment is more stable, better I do not agree). Could also Sammy product have funny problem like switching on/off by themselves? Yes just check it on their forum (mine never did, even if also my F5400 sometimes need to be unplugged in order to work mainly when something go wrong with the media player)

Probably I make and error writing that is mandatory to reset (I'm not completely used to English), but if you have problem and this is the solution you wouldn't try it out? And at least in my personal experience (and of many others in Italy) this work, not just temporarely, with the latest firmware.

Than again you are free to choose another brand and feel betrayed by Sony, as I think I'm free to think the opposit (even if even a Sony fan like me could have expected a better quality check on the OS of these TVs).

BTW sometimes you receive also a surprise from Sony programmers: you can now set a timer for HDD recording being away from home using TV sideview: great (ok it's not available still in UK)!!