Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
jadeee

I am sick of this Android TV - the latest update worked for a while and slowly reverted into an unusable TV with severe lag on all key requests - in the end I had to reset the thing again!

I gather some of you have returned the TV as not fit for purpose - I believe I need to do this I am sick of the hassle of a TV that does not function. Has anyone returned to Argos in the UK and if so how?

Appreciate some guidance.

oodles2do

@jadeee

Did you do a factory reset? I find that holding the power button down to turn off the TV, rather than standby, works very well with resetting the responsiveness after a week or so.

elraouk

Same here, I try to periodically reboot the set every few days.  Don't wait till I think it needs it, just reboot before going to bed while I'm turning the 53 lamps off that my wife insists we need to have on every night. 
jadeee

Pretty bad though isnt it having to reboot - just shows how bad the code from Sony is that it leaks memory or CPU over time.

I am also concerned that Sony have given no clues how long they will support the code for - if teh TV has a 5 year life will Sony support for 5 years or less - who knows - I have a feeling they will walk away from the TV's very soon.

For those who returned the set as not fit for purpose - how did they go about this?

cjazz2016
Explorer

After reading all of these negative comments I think I will give a miss to the purchase to a new Sony KDL-43W805C. So any recommendations for a different brand and model with a similar specification without all of the android problems?

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

jadeee wrote: 

For those who returned the set as not fit for purpose - how did they go about this?

I guess for starters they searched the forum to see how others did it?

Here you go have a spoonful of this:- https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=how+to+return+TV+site%3Acommunity.sony.co.uk%2Ft5%2Ft...

profile.country.FI.title
jope35
Explorer

Now that USB recording was finally released to our european models, how can I pause live broadcasts? There are no absolutely no mention about this in settings, and pause button does not work either. USB recording seems to work fine.

TV model: KD-65X8505C

whoisandwhoisnt
Explorer

Had my KDL-55W755C for less than a month. 

Been having a few problems when the TV has been switched off for a while (no sound, remote control unresponsive). Unplugging it used to sort it, until the next time it had been off for a while. 

Posted here and it was suggested I did a facory reset. https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/new-tv-problem/m-p/2128340/highlight/false#M41278

Did this, but two hours later all I have is an LED light illuminated and a black screen, with the TV unresponsive to any button press. 

I should add that when I unplug it from the mains and plug it back in the "Sony" logo comes on the screen briefly, but then nothing (the Android logo never appears)

Worried that I've bricked my TV

mattface

It's highly likely. As you've had it under a month, I suggest you return it immediately, don't bother with Sony support.

profile.country.NL.title
FlipStone

@jope35 You can't... You'd expect that to be there but it isn't, was quite disappointed about that myself as well.

Even manually starting a recording on the current channel and trying to pause that doesn't work. Truely hope it will be implemented in the near future...