Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Kevwoods12

@resbre

Theres a growing library of 4K on Netflix. No movies yet but loads of TV shows and docs. £8.99 for the 4K sub,  5.1 audio. 

That remote does look nice,  have you priced one yet? 

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

@Kevwoods12

Morning, so far, nothing. I have checked eBay Japan, and apart from having a nicer interface than we do here in the UK, they don't have any - but then again it isn't out till March. :remote:

"The Sony Huis is a product of the First Flight crowd funding platform (which previously brought an e-paper smart watch). The Huis will be available only in Japan for now, starting in March. Pre-orders run for JPY 27,950 (around $250), putting it against the Logitech Harmony remotes on price."

I will go and check out the crowd funding page next to see if I can get into the first run that way.

I will report back.

I made a tread on the PlayStation Forums asking everybody if they knew a source for the PlaysStation Video Unlimited 4K app yesterday - I also have to go back and see if anything has developed there. Many where not happy that we can gain access to purchase 4K content from the store yet, like they can in the USA, so here's hoping I can get a copy - Then I have to figure out how to root or side load it on to my X83C. :thinking:

It would be nice actually, if I contact Sony directly and see if they have an ETA for it through official channels.

I still wonder though if I could actually get away with putting the American Firmware on my UK TV and using a VPN gain access that way. :thinking:

Kind regards :handshake:

Richard :laughing:

adyjay33

With all this talk of remote controls etc... it would be better if Sony actually concentrated on making our TV's work properly!

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

Is it called 'Ultra' - and is it actually released yet?

http://4k.com/news/ces-2016-the-new-app-that-lets-you-watch-sony-movies-in-4k-uhd-11825/

kevfarme

Wow!  The last time I looked in on this forum there were about 400 posts about this pile rubbish tv.  Now it's at 500!!!!!  Yet still they don't work properly and still Sony are treating you people like you are irrelevant 😞  That is quite honestly disgusting and I feel you all.  I'm glad I took the decision to take my set back to Currys and got a Panasonic instead.  This was on Boxing Day 2015 and I haven't looked back.  I have a far superior Panasonic set that just works as it should.  No messing, no resetting etc I can just switch on and watch tv as things should be.

Just take the piles of junk back, you will not regret it.

profile.country.NL.title
FlipStone

Well, I actually like my tv (W805c here)... It's not perfect and doesn't do everything I expected (still hoping for timeshift possibilities in the future) but it's actually very stable for me atm.

I also just love the flexibility of android tv, sideloading apps for example allowing me to run just about everything. Is it perfect? Far from it... But for my usage it is the best option I think.

I also checked other systems, amongst them panasonic... But when reading about apps not working when they had a server update (ie, depending on panasonic servers) I got a little scared. Same with Samsungs Tizen and LG WebOS, you're way more dependent on the manufacturers.

Android is bloated, for sure, but the ability to install a general kind of apps makes up for it for me and makes me feel it's way more future proof then it's counterparts. Hopefully with android 6 things will be better.

Still, I hope you're happy with the panasonic and that it'll continue to make you happy for a long time. But the fact that the sony's cause issues with way too many people, I surely agree with that, doesn't mean it still isn't the best option...

It helps for me that I only jumped in recently and the recent updates already fixed a ton of issues of course. I can image things being much worse if you bought it half a year ago or so...

MaxUHD

Crazy thing is that my Sony KD49X8307CSU is behaving just fine and I think that the ability to run Andoid apps natively is just a killer feature. The main app I have installed is Kodi and I use that just about every day to stream whatever I feel like watching. Didn't buy this for PAP/PIP or HDD recording so I'm happy, especially with Sony 4K picture quality. So yes, some people with issues, but I don't feel any need to return my TV thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@MiCal1967 wrote:

Same with Google Japanese Input which I have not understand why it is there. Is it necessary?

By the way, where is the Favorites button?

Just press the little microphone and say it 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@kevfarme

It's not posts, it's pages.

And stop gloating 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Yes i know. Sésame, ouvre-toi! or Sesame, open! or Σουσάμι άνοιξε! :wink: