Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
kevfarme

500 pages just makes it even worse 😞  Seriously, I am not gloating.  I genuinely feel for all of you that are still stuck with these poor examples of tv's.  They could have been so much but have failed on so many levels.

Take 'em all back, tell the world what is going on, Sony deserve to take the flak big time for this consumer farce.

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

@rnbetsy

The name of it on the 4K Media Player 1/5/10 is Video Unlimited 4K App. :smileyinfo:

It has had it's name changed to just PlayStation Video though, so that doesn't make it any easier to find. :smileyinfo:

In the article you referred too. "BRAVIA models include televisions such as the flagship X940 and X930C TVs from 2015, older 2014 models like the X950B and lower priced 2015 4K UHD models like the X850C and X830C."

-Their I am right at the very bottom of the list the X830C :tongue:

"I read the reviews and followed the development of the X1 Processor inside these bad boys for years, way before they came out and promised my self one of the range. The x830C even has HDR, so couldn't care less what others say about them, I know mines futuer proof for quite sometime to come.

I just want that app! :neutral:

My American friends have it on there X10 media players, and ever after the reveal and America getting it, nothing for us here in the UK. :nauseated_face:

Our TV's are way behind the America version's firmware. Our firmware doesn't have PiP, HDD Recording and the App - The Americans of course have. :nauseated_face:

Grrrr :triumph:

I will now go and search the Internet for it, but I've already exhausted so many avenues.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. :smileyplus:

Kind regards :handshake:

Richard

Blythy
Explorer

The latest software update for the X830C is really buggy.

I've had two or three occaisions since the last update where the system no longer responds to remote or hard button inputs, and I've just had to do a soft reset because the wifi stopped working.

ryanbrodie
Explorer

My KDL-43W805C now crashes on startup since updating to the latest firmware, showing the Sony logo then briefly the Android loading balls and then.. Switches off.. repeating indefinitely

I've unplugged for long periods of time, turned off with the remote etc. but nothing. It seems to be something wrong with Android itself as that is the point in the startup sequence that crashes, before this the remote is somewhat functional in that the activity light flashes showing IR activity.

Any ideas? If I knew how to perform some kind of hard reset I would

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ryanbrodie

Ive passed your issue to Sony Support as there is probably little this forum can do to help you and you have described the same symptoms as someone else.

Cheers

DarrellM
Explorer

@ryanbrodie sadly you have the same issue as myself and @mattface

I'm afraid there is nothing you yourself can do to fix this issue, trust me on this I've had this exact same thing since the 2nd February when the update was released.

The only thing you can do is contact Sony support and after a long overly protracted time you will get your tv sent away to an authorised Sony repair centre where they will replace the mainboard. 

It's farcical I know, I've been trying to sort mine for a month with no end yet in site.

mattface

@ryanbrodie

Join the club, I'm really sorry.

If you can, return the TV to wherever you bought it and get a full refund and take this is as a lesson on Sony Android TVs.

If you can't return it, phone Sony support and insist they replace the TV as it cannot be repaired by a technician visiting. Don't let them tell you anything else, it has to be replaced, the sooner you get that ball rolling the sooner you get a working TV again.

I've been waiting for 4 weeks while Sony tried to decide what to do about it.

My local Sony repair place is bringing me a replacement TV this week, and collecting my old one. I don't want it but have no choice. It's going straight on ebay!

DarrellM
Explorer

@mattface I've asked Sony support to replace the tv on 3 occasions now and each time they have insisted that it goes to their authorised repair centre which I'm not happy about.

2 'engineers' turned up at my house and did not even turn the tv on. They had no information from Sony about my TV or issue.  The repair centre have since texted me to say that parts are currently on order from Sony and once they have arrived my TV will be collected. I'm looking at least another 2 weeks before this is sorted.

Why the hell does your policy differ for the same issue Sony?

Anonymous
Not applicable

DarrellM wrote:

I believe this is more of a logistics issue between different size TVs. 

mattface

@Quinnicus wrote:

@DarrellM wrote:

I believe this is more of a logistics issue between different size TVs. 

He has a KDL-43W807C and I have a KDL-50W805C, I can't see how his TV being 7 inches smaller would explain why they are ***** about trying to fix it when my local repair centre didn't bother and just ordered a replacement TV.