Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
mattface

Just had my replacement TV turn up and told the tech to leave it in the box. It came with a letter from Sony EU Customer Service stating how they are very sorry and how nice they are to ensure this TV has at least 3 months warranty. I already had 5 months left so that's pointless, but I can include all this as proof it's new, for when the (un)lucky new owner from eBay comes to collect it.

It does have an email address if anyone needs to get hold of the "Divisional Director for Customer Service Europe Operations" - Kris De Pauw

As instructed by Sony, I immediately called customer support to start the discussion about compensation and was told that they will "call me back" as they "would have to listen to the previous call tapes to see when I was promised compensation" .... I look forward to someone trying to weasel their way out of this.

In the meantime, I'm off to Currys to look at a Panasonic Viera TX-50CX700B which has 5 years manufacturers warranty.

-----

Edited by Drew - Email address removed

dazworld

That's great news @mattface - from not gaining any support from Sony and hearing yours and some others on this forum I'm going to follow your lead this weekend.

The feeling of a TV which 'just works' has lightened up my day. I, amongsts millions of others love TV, and I want that enjoyment back again. Saumsung or Panasonic will do that for me.

mattface

It's been an expensive experiment.

If I am lucky enough to sell my replacement TV for £400, I've lost £200 in 7 months from the original purchase price.

walshy5050

Well just had a follow up call of customer support telling me they are going to send me a email with instruction to try and resolve my issues I received the email and it is the same instructions I have had over the phone twice this is a joke im so annoyed that they are just trying to bull***** me of to currys to demand a refund had enough 

This it the email I received 

Thank you for contacting Sony Support,

Please follow the below steps for a doing a factory reset to the TV.

1-Click on the home button on your remote.

2-Scroll down to the setting icon at the bottom of the menu and click select.

3-Scroll to the right to storage and reset and click select.

4-Scroll down and select factory data reset.

5-Click on erase everything then OK.

Troubleshooting Steps #1 :-

1-Press on the home button on the Remote.

2-Scroll to the bottom of the screen to Settings and click on it.

3-Scroll down to Network option and click on it.

4-Scroll down to Remote start and click on it and set it to off.

5-Unplug and re-plug the TV power cord.

Troubleshooting Steps #2 :-

1-Press on the home button on the Remote.

2-Scroll to the bottom of the screen to Settings and click on it.

3-Scroll down To Date & Time option and click on it.

4-Select Automatic Data & Time and set it to off.

5-Unplug and re-plug the TV power cord.

Once done please reply to this email with the result so we can continue with the process.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.

Thank you for your enquiry.

oodles2do

@walshy5050

Such rubbish, generic answer! It's like the troubleshooting steps and the supposed factory reset fix are designed purely to antagonise people.

I hate those kinds of "solutions" so much that I rarely actually do them (most of the time I've ALREADY done everything that they suggest as they're the only things we can do) and just reply saying, nope didn't work. 

Annoyingly you then only get a generic, your case has been escalated. Only for them to reply with basically the same thing, or not to reply at all! Infuriating!!!

And I've been one of the lucky ones to have minimal issues with my TV.

mattface

Apparently I'm not allowed to tell you the email address of the:

"Divisional Director for Customer Service Europe Operations"

as it was just removed by an admin a few posts ago.

Comedy.

-----

Edited by Drew - Link removed - personal info

walshy5050

Thanks for the link this is the email I have just sent let's see if I get a reply not holding my breath

Dear sir

I am sorry to send you this email.
I am discussed with the approach Sony has taken to try and resolve the issues with the Sony android tv.
 I am sick to death of getting the same response for the faults on my tv. To have the escalated  support team email me the same instructions that one of the call center members went through with me on the phone weeks ago is a absolute joke you should be ashamed at how incompetent you engineering staff are at dealing with these issues.  I will be returning to the store I bought the TV from and demanding a refund 

Yours 
adyjay33

LOL on the post removal, have now put the address you gave in my favorites... you post will be removed I expect though....

A recent post about how to clean the screen post that I replied "Put a hammer through the screen" was also removed, so I guess they dont like the truth. 

I have never known a forum that is so anti the truth than this Sony one.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
mattface

To be fair they've let us rant away into a 5000+ post thread which is far more embarassing for Sony than me being petty with an email address :slight_smile: and I've experienced far worse forum clampdowns with another company. Haha it was removed again.

It's quite telling that there's not a customer service person even attempting to respond to this thread, when anyone new comes along it's other users saying "return it and buy a Panasonic" which is what you'd think would really catch their attention.

In unsurprising news, their promise to call me back today before 6pm regarding my compensation claim, has 5 minutes left to happen.

If you really want to get annoyed, go and look at the "customers" arguing against the 1 star reviews on Amazon (including mine).

Amazon 1 star reviews

My review

Either the general public are more willing to accept ***** electronics than I am, or the Sony Fanboy Cult has got powerful.

Final note, thanks to recommendations in this thread I am sitting here looking at my Panasonic Viera TX-50CX700B and it's quite lovely indeed

adyjay33

Hey mattface you link was removed just as I predicted, sadly I now have the info so hard luck Sony.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!