Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
oodles2do

@UKPiglet

Great to hear that you've managed to return your set. I never trust in store staff to actually know anything, I have frequently shown I know more about the technology that they're supposed to try and sell me when speaking to people in stores, namely PC World.

I have had a browse at other TV sets and I think I've come to a concluson as to the one I'd want, and I'm prepared to spend more money, this one would be £400 more than what we paid for the Sony:

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-55ec930v-curved-oled-full-hd-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-2x-3d-glass...

Hopefully John Lewis can do some kind of swap, obviously we'd have to pay the difference. If not then a full refund and a separate purchase will do.

mark-bo

oodles2do wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I've never been impressed with any Samsung models that I've seen. I've not seen any of their newer TV, but I have experience with 1080p models not that long ago and really didn't like their picture. I find their phones push out colours too much too, making things look unrealistic 😕

I posted this back in January I repost it for @oodles2do benfit as you'll see I find the Samsung picture amazing in fact it is now quite a joy to watch good qulaity HD programmes on TV.

I returned my KD55X8509C just before Christmas due to the whole range of problems reported here, including the constant need to reboot, the sluggishness of the whole UI, the random turning itself on and the failure to turn off, plus the issues with the satellite, I had them all. The picture was excellent so I was very concerned that choosing an alternative brand would match the Sony picture quality.

In the end I settled for the Samsung UE55JS8000 (The flat screen version of the curved JS8500 that What HiFi awarded best TV in its range in this year’s awards). It was more expensive, however, the picture is stunning even better than the Sony. Watching HD TV is a real enjoyable experience. It has the option for either Freesat or general sat with diseqc, although you get the option to use either terrestrial or satellite not both together. The Hard Disc recording is excellent with the choice of single or series recording. No Youview but all 4 catchup services work perfectly. Not as good selection of apps as you get with android but more than adequate. I even got a free 6 month subscription to Netflix including their UHD programmes. One unusual feature is that HDMI and USB inputs are located in a small separate box which in turn plugs into the tv with a single cable. This makes cable management easier and tidier as well as being much easier to plug or unplug additional items as necessary such as a portable hard disc for recording. On the Sony the HDMI cables were visible sticking out the side which I thought was a design fault locating some of the sockets so close to the side. Sound quality is not bad either, much better than the Sony although not as good as a soundbar, but quite acceptable after boosting the treble and bass with the equaliser. I have had two firmware updates one out of the box and one a few days ago and both installed in less than a minute.

All in all I am very pleased with the Samsung, everything works just as it should, but equally disappointed that the Sony could not equal it or perform as a tv of a premium price and premium brand should. For the sake of those waiting on the end of March update, I hope it solves the problems for you.

adyjay33

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-55ec930v-curved-oled-full-hd-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-2x-3d-glass...

That looks a good TV... 🙂

Not 4k though?

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
oodles2do

@SONY_FR

Thanks for you reponse, weirdly it's a few pages behind the latest.

Thank you for pointing that out!! I didn't, I'd been looking at a few models and didn't realise that this one wasn't 4K, that's really annoying. I don't think there's a 4K OLED model that isn't over £2,000, annoyingly other models come with 3D which I really couldn't care less about.

oodles2do

@SONY_FR

However, this is the model that I was actually looking at:

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-55EG920V

Notice it's 920V not 930V, John Lewis don't seem to sell the 920, which is 4K, and the 930 isn't 4K.

It's still too expensive though 😕

oodles2do

@adyjay33

Unfortunately though, as someone pointed out. It's not 4K :/, the 4K OLED models are MUCH more expensive.

andygoz

THIS

I havent belittled anyone.

I havent even pretended that people havent had problems- Clearly you have.

I can only speak for my personal experience, and thus far its been absolutely tremedous.

Forums like this tend to attract people having the problems hence it being an issues thread, i suppose there arent many threads to praise something!!

I am just curious in the interest of balance to A, put my experience forward, and B, hear from other people who have had satisfactory and good performance.

julianblack

Hi @oodles2do.

No problem. I¹d have loved to have gone the OLED route but the price was too
much for me to get permission for. My replacement TV:
http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-55uf860v-4k-ultra-hd-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freevie
w-hd-built-in-wi-fi-harman-kardon-audio-2x-3d-glasses/p2003741?l=true&_reque
stid=41128371#tabinfo-ratings

Pros:
Good picture. Wakes and goes to sleep when requested. HD recording. 5.1
sound for both amazon and Netflix. Good OS (WebOS) imho.HDR (though not the
new HDR 10).

Cons:
Massively wide stand footprint. Only one tuner. Slight clouding of an area
of screen that is only observable when panning shots of sky are displayed.
No ITV Hub or All 4, but they aren¹t in HD anyway. Limited range of apps in
the LG Content Store, but this is a TV and a not games consul.
profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Hello again everyone. :laughing:

The MHL link on my X83C works flawlessly and you can even screen cast in 4K with a newer model Xperia. The NFC Chip in the RMX-100 also works a charm. You can just tap your phone on the remote and boom, up on the screen instantly.

What I'm after is an ETA on the next firmware in the UK

Does anybody have the email address of someone in the firmware department or even a Twitter feed that they reply on? I'm getting quite desperate for those features that had logos on the box such as PiP and HDD Recording. But the main feature I want, and want NOW is the PlayStation Store Video Unlimited App :alert:

They have had access to this in the USA for months now on their sets where as we in the UK don't even have an ETA. :thinking:

If I can't get an answer within a week I'm going to throw caution to the wind and try too install a custom android image and do my own Firmware again. I did a lot of the high end VAIO Firmwares and also quite a bit of the PS3's Firmware so I have high hopes for this set and its X1 Processor. :smileyztele::smileyhappy:

Can also those new to this tread run adia64 on there sets for us here, and report back with the info on their processors - I only brought mine 3 months ago and it only has a dual core processor, but the rumor mill is insisting that the processor has quietly been upgraded to a quad core in the 2016 builds.So it would be nice if we had proof....:smileyalert:

Kind regards all.:smileypeace:

Richard

adyjay33

Indeed the 2015 models only have a dual core cpu whereas I have read somewhere (Sorry cant remember where) that the new 2016 models do have the quad core.

http://www.cnet.com/videos/android-tv-gets-upgrades-for-2016-sony-sets/

If only the 2015 models ran this smooth....

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xd9405-xd9305-series/specifications

A date for the next FW would be good and why is it that the UK seems to get everything last after the whole world?

If this new FW solved all the problems I would most certainly keep the TV but why should I have to keep on waiting Sony if others have these updates etc...?

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!