Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
xenicus
Explorer

I can't find the original post but whoever suggested turning off remote start was bang on the money. 

Since doing that I have had no more lock ups of the remote. 

Note: the remote start option is under wireless on my TV settings 

adyjay33

I have had mine turned off for a while, but why should you have to turn these features off, should the TV not work properly in the first place?

By the time everyone stops usings YouView, switch of remote start, does this does that, the TV loses what it was supposedly made for... to be a TV... lol

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
MaxUHD

@equinoximmure wrote...

"The manufacture date of my 43w807 is December 2015, and I have had very little problems so far other than remote locking up occasionally. I wouldn't be surprised if they've changed the hardware, it does seem to be that people with sets manufactured more recently are having nowhere near the problems encountered by early adopters of this set. My only annoyance is the slight clouding/dark patch towards the bottom of the screen above the Sony emblem (I've seen other posts mentioning this). Does anyone else have this problem? It's only slightly visible during rugby/field sports scanning shots."

I'm not sure if it is a hardware related question? I bought my TV, a KD49X8307CSU 4K set in November 2015 so I'm assuming an earlier manufacturing date. But I'm not seeing the problems being reported here? We all know there definitely are problems because you would not get hundreds of pages of issues reported here otherwise. However, I'm not getting the random switch-on, lock-up, sudden-crash issues (to name but a few!) that other people are seeing? I use the set every day via a freesat box for TV viewing. I also use the YouView features a couple of times a week for catchup services. I have Kodi installed which runs smoothly and I use that to stream from the net and to watch my own content across my network that I have on a drive attached to a Revo PC. I also use YouTube a fair bit for music videos and technical content for a couple of hobbies of mine. I find the picture quality to be stunning, particularly with 4K content and I have no complaints there. So the TV is getting a fair bit of hammer and all I'm getting is occasional sluggishness on the TV remote which I fix with a quick restart. This is probably required every couple of weeks or so and I kind of accept this as the price I pay for running a TV with lots of extra features but which is essentially a home computer running Android. So, because of this, I'm thinking there is definitely another factor in play here apart from later hardware builds? I just wish we (or even Sony!) could figure this out because a lot of people are experiencing significant problems after paying a lot of hard-earned cash!

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

The new firmware for Ireland and Europe but not UK is out now and available for download from Sony Support site 

The automatic download has been suspended for the moment as a technical issue needs to be addressed.

Firmware version is 3.317 gives you : USB Recording, Twin tuner 4ktvs  ,Twin Pip (tuner and Hdmi).

Looking forward to this for months.

adyjay33

That's interesting, mine was an Oct build so maybe they have changed
something after October 2015... can people put their dates in so we might
be able to narrow down a specific time.

However the fact that people post on here even when they say they have no
problems as such, makes me wonder why they are actually here or do they
have issues that made them look for solutions?

If they have problems with later TV's, then it suggests that there are
other issues which are not related to date manufacture.
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
adyjay33

"Technical issues?"

LOL... Why are they putting out FW if its causing "Technical issues", do they not test it first or is that against Sony's quality (Or lack of) control dept?

Seems like whoever is writing this FW needs to be sacked for being incompetant at their job!

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
MaxUHD

@adyjay33 wrote:
That's interesting, mine was an Oct build so maybe they have changed
something after October 2015... can people put their dates in so we might
be able to narrow down a specific time.

However the fact that people post on here even when they say they have no
problems as such, makes me wonder why they are actually here or do they
have issues that made them look for solutions?

If they have problems with later TV's, then it suggests that there are
other issues which are not related to date manufacture.

Just checked the plate on the back of my set and it shows the manufacture date as 2015/04, so well in advance of my November 2015 purchase date. And yet I'm not getting any significant issues. So maybe not hardware build related?

frankie1g

Sorry I think the build date is a red herring. Nothing has changed in spec or hardware since launch 

Sent from my Samsung device
adyjay33

Again why are some okay and others not?

Might be a particular model too... although it seems that many models are affected.

Could just be a very bad batch?

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
adyjay33

Maybe it is, maybe it is not, cant rule out a bad batch of TV's due to a hardware fault.

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!