Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
MaxUHD

@adyjay33 wrote:
Again why are some okay and others not?

Could just be a very bad batch?

Exactly, that's what puzzles me.

Is it a bad batch as you suggest?

Is it pattern of useage where people are using certain apps or functions which are more prone to disrupt the OS?

Either way I think Sony needs to own up and provide an explanation for unhappy customers.

adyjay33

I agree they should own up but as per one of my recent emails they don't
and its a culture thing of arrogance that seems prevalent in Sony's
management structure, this is said by employees and ex employees of the
company.

You only need to look online to see what sort of company they are to work
for which suggests they treat their customers the same too.

They really should change this attitude as they have lost me as a customer
and probably most of my friends too as I warn all away from buying Sony
products as the support is dismal.
KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
oodles2do

As people have said, a simple reset often fixes a lot of issues, and I agree, this helps a lot with the issues I have. However, at the moment I am unable to reset the TV, holding the power button makes the TV turn on and off repeatedly, my poor soundbar has no idea what the hell is going on!

Over the past few days everything has taken a turn for the worse for the TV too, you can forget entering a channel number. I spent 5+ minutes trying to just change to 101, got channel 1 and channel 10 in the middle of multiple freezes, then I couldn't turn it off for ages. Just confirmed I've made the right decision in contacting John Lewis for a refund.

Now comes the difficult task of picking a TV within budget, such a shame that the  55inch 4K OLED LG TV comes in at around £2,500 :/.

Incase anyone is curious, the model is KD - 49X8305C, date of manufacture 08/2015.

7-Zark-7
Explorer

You can reboot the TV from the settings menu - I'm not near the set right now but IIRC it's something like settings>info>restart or similar.

adyjay33

I concur you can reboot from the settings menu.

I also agree with the 101, problem... its a nightmare!

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
oodles2do

Thanks!! I was sure you could do it from the settings but I couldn't see the options (didn't look very hard). I kinda want the TV to be as awful as it is now if John Lewis engineers want to come round.

profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

There dosen't appear to be so many issues with these TV's in other countries, I looked on the US Sony site expecting to see similar problems but couldn't find any to the magnitude experienced here in the UK.

I know they use a different broadcast standard to us but that's unlikely to make a difference.

I'm fairly lucky in that my KD49X8305C is working pretty well now, after the Feb update it did randomly switch itself on a couple of times then settled down and hasn't put a foot wrong since.

ingajohn
New

Hi . .  Just puchased a kd-x9005c and very happy . .   But I am having issues in trying to sort out Favourites . .    I selected about a dozen or so and they are all over the place .   I am getting fed up trying to find out how to sort them in either channel numbers or name -- or whatever . .

Can anyone help me please

Thanks in advance

John

And to think that all I wanted to do was to buy a new TV - and so thinking Sony have a good reputation and their tellies are great I bought my 43W809C fromm Currys (mid Dec 2015)

Some issues as already mentioned (latest being clock losing time) and so having to reboot all the time.  It's a TV for God's sake.  I don't do Netflix, Amazon etc etc.  All I wanted was a decent TV.

But a question - this thread covers a lot of models - what I don't know and struggle to find in this mass of issues are those that I should worry about and watch for on my specific model.

ADHutchinson
Explorer

I've bought a KD-49X8305C with Android and YouView. 

Im having a lot of trouble with it being unresponsive, particularly when starting up. Once I've switched it on, I normally have to wait a few minutes before I can change channels/access the guide etc. 

How can I fix this, as its really spoiling my enjoyment of the TV. 

I found that when I disabled YouView, a lot of issues disappeared but then I was unable to use any "catch up" apps such as iPlayer or All4 without being forced to activate YouView again. 

Is there anything I can do?