Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
mrrcoffey
Explorer

New issue for me this week.  At night, I turn off at the mains.  The last three mornings, when I turn on the TV with the remote, I get picture without sound, and an entirely unresponsive remote.  The only fix is turning off at the mains again and re-booting.  

I've reached the end of my tether and have emailed Currys for a refund under SOGA.  I bought in August.  I suspect they will want to send an engineer, but I have clearly stated that it is a software issue and so no repair or replacement will be adequate.  I can only hope this works.

oodles2do

@ADHutchinson

You've got the same TV model as I have and more recently it's become much more troublesome, I've opened an enquiry with John Lewis about getting a refund, but I love the picture so it's a difficult dilemma.

I find that fully powering down the TV significantly helps with the responsiveness, just hold down the power button until the power off box appears, it'll shut down and restart by itself with the Sony and Android logos.

I can't do this using the TV remote anymore as it goes into standby before it realises I want to power it down. People a couple of pages back said that you can do it in the settings menu, I haven't tried it yet as I want the TV to be unresponsive if John Lewis engineers want to come round. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@HenryHallsDanceBand wrote:

And to think that all I wanted to do was to buy a new TV - and so thinking Sony have a good reputation and their tellies are great I bought my 43W809C fromm Currys (mid Dec 2015)

Some issues as already mentioned (latest being clock losing time) and so having to reboot all the time.  It's a TV for God's sake.  I don't do Netflix, Amazon etc etc.  All I wanted was a decent TV.

But a question - this thread covers a lot of models - what I don't know and struggle to find in this mass of issues are those that I should worry about and watch for on my specific model.

They are pretty much all the same - they are all running the same software, and the problems with that pop up everywhere.

There were (are?) problems with 3D that only affect sets that have 3D - mine doesn't - but while it is UHD, I see no issues that differentiate  between UHD and HD, and I never think 'Oh, that's a 55in problem that doesn't affect my 43in one' or similar.

These are 'Sony Android TV' problems. If it's Sony, if it's Android and if it's a TV, we are all in the same boat, no matter what our 'deck' may be labelled.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
ADHutchinson
Explorer

@oodles2do Thanks, I'd noticed this too. Is there anyway to turn the tv off using this method? The only things I seem able to do is either put it into standby or restart it. 

oodles2do

@ADHutchinson

No I don't think there is, I've been trying to do that too. A very simple fix from Sony would be to turn the TV fully off if it's been in standby mode for more than say 2 hours, or have a setting that we can decide. This would allow the software to reset itself every night.

andygoz

quick question for all - as a general rule do you tend to power off your tv at the mains socket when its not being used?

or do you keep it on at the mains socket and just power off with the remote and keep in standby.

Im not entirely sure if there is a best/recommended way to do things on that front.

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

andygoz -

I power off with either the remote or the switch on the back of the TV.

I can't reach the mains socket as it's hidden away in an AV cabinet. 

For reference - I'm one of the lucky ones, in that my set is largely stable, HDMI control works as it should as does audio output.

My Model KD43X8309CBU
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

I tend to use the button around the back and like andipr my set is now stable although I'm not sure the method of switching it off is anything to do with it.

chbjerg

I always just use the remote to put it nto standby. No problems here either.. Noticed a funny thing yesterday though. Tried restarting the tv from the home menu settings. When it restarted, it was slow and unresponsive. The picture was also very bright, even though it was my calibrated settings. This went on for a good half hour, when all of a sudden, the picture dimmed a bit, and looked like the picture I had calibrated. I had done nothing but watch Netflix on it. When the picture got back to normal, I also noticed the responsiveness was as it was before. That is weird :slight_smile:

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@cnbjerg

That's why I say all problems are hardware related. They are never going to fix because THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE to fix with software.

This has happened many times in the past. For example, USB 3.0 controllers. Unkown Manufacturers that are unable to give the right drivers. Not even with the help of Microsoft's programmers or whatever. Big Manufacturers adopt a bad project, usually you know where from, they are unable to provide drivers and they finally leave it as is. NOT WORKING.

What we see here is that all of us are Laboratory Animals. Animals that pay thousands of euros for non working products. Each one of as has different or similar problems according the way he uses the TV set. A serious company should already have recalled all 2015 tv set, replace the defect design hardware with new and give it back to user. This is how a serious company works.

I bought an October made TV but what I see here is people with problems from June or July. NOT FIXED. And they are never going to be fixed.