Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Robert_W
Explorer

Any time frame on when UK will get this update.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Robert_W wrote:

Any time frame on when UK will get this update.

I suggest you carefully reread Quinnicus' post on this, particularly:-

"The update will be available via OTA to everyone on a staggered basis – hence not everyone will get it at the same time (similar to mobile phone updates). The update will also be available to download and install via USB from the Support pages for those that wish to install it immediately"

and do the latter if you want it right now.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I.e go to the Sony UK page, put your tv model number in and check the support and download section. There's nothing of any use in the update that I can see however. I suspect it's hundreds of unnecessary security updates.

MrLizard

Security updates are probably a lot more necessary than many people realise.
Quite frankly, if I've got a device that isn't getting regular security patches, I'm not interested in using that device any more.
I've got better things to do with my time than to buy bitcoins to pay off malware authors who've put everything on my NAS behind AES-256, using my TV as a jumpbox.
mollygeorge66
Explorer

Hi,im looking for some help/advice ive recently bought the sony android KDL 50W805C and ive almost got the tv picture settings perfect however im having a lot of problems with the apps section and terrible glare,brightness issues on apps like kodi amongst others does anyone have some settings i could try to adjust the brightness/contrast so as the apps become watchable ,thanks in advance

mollygeorge66
Explorer

ive installed the bt sports app on the KDL 50W805C and its basically unwatchable everything is playing in slow motion terrible playback anyone ese have a problem with apps such as BT

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I tried the bt app a while ago but there was no point as you can Chromecast it to the tv. Do you not have Chromecast?

mollygeorge66
Explorer

Hi Garymjh to be honest i still use my fire tv as opposed to the android side of this tv as i have had either picture quality issues bad glare and brightness,or like the bt app slow motion playback so not really a fan of the android side of this tv ive tried adjusting settings to improve the picture quality but cant get it right on any app

milner993
Explorer

I recently downloaded the latest update which was released on the 19th July via the Sony website and installed the software via USB, I think the UI on the home screen is running slightly smoother, However like many I have an issue with the screen stuttering/jumping/flickering causing me to reset the TV which unfortunately the latest update v3.473 fails to resolve. STILL

I have the BT ultra HD box and my TV is the KD-49x8309c living in the UK

COME ON SONY SORT THIS OUT! at least acknowledge the problem and communicate to everyone that your working to resolve this and the many other reported issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable