Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Hello again all :smileyplus:

Sorry I haven't been back to inform any of you what has been going on in my situation, but I will try to do so now.

:thinking:

So around a month ago, I had enough, I think from my forum posts here it was quite obvious that I had had enough of my Sony KD49X8305CBU 49" 4K Ultra HD TV. :cry:

It had begun crashing pretty much every day. I could'nt install any apps otherwise that would just exasperate it, and after each crash I did as stated, the full factory reset. In the end I didn't even bother to sign into Goggle and would just skip everything so I could use it for a day or two at most before the next crash and thus the next factory reset. :question:

I had already been back to the retailer who sold it to me around 6-7 times to tell them this and they kept saying, just wait for the next firmware to fix it's issue's and everything will be ok. :pray:

So instead of going back to the retailer who obviously had training in fobbing people off, I contacted their head office. I argued, and argued my case until they agreed to come and collect it, to investigate themselves if anything was wrong with it. Bless them, they even lent me a 32" HD telly in the mean time. :slight_smile:

Well after 3 weeks I got a telephone call, and they said, what I thought was pretty obvious. That indeed there was a fault with it, or to be more precise, there where faults with it. And that their engineer's had replace several parts (3-4) including the Mainboard/Motherboard, and that it is ready for redelivery. Of course at this point I kicked off a gooden, and refused it back. :nerd:

I stated it wasn't fit for purpose and that there was no way in hell I was having it back. So management phoned and we argued some more. In the end I have been offered an exchange for it. I paid around £1000 for it, which they will either give back to me or deduct from another TV. :cool:

So thank you to all you good and smart people here on the forums for giving me input and explaining my rights to me here. I finally got somewhere with it. :rolling_eyes:

I have spent the last week looking at the spec's of the Samsung's Quantum Dot TV's and LG's and Panasonic's TV's. As now I can get one with HDR and even Dolby Vision if I feel it's a decent worth while addition to my home. :smileyinfo:

It's such a shame that nobody makes a 32" HD 1080p TV anymore as I'd be happy with just that.

4K, HDR be it 10 or whatever, Dolby Vision in my opinion are just stop gaps, and not really what I'd call a smart investment. As other manufactures (Dell already have 5K screens available) and from what I gather 8K Panels are starting to go into production as we speak. :smileyinfo:

So whatever I get this year will also be out of date next year. :rolling_eyes:

So their you go. My experience with Sony's 4K "What Hifi" Winner was rubbish. :nauseated_face:

I advise anybody else, like other's did here for me, to take them back whilst you can. The retailer has said to me that their experience this year is if you want a TV that just works. I.E, you just turn it on and it's good to go, it's a Panasonic. Sony really shouldn't release unfinished hardware on to the market and use support to fix them as an after thought. But that's what they seem comfortable in doing at present. I believe it will be the same thing with the PlayStation Neo, but hey, I will have to wait and see.:smileymrgreen:

If you've got one, take it back whilst you can.:smileyalert:

Thank you everybody here for giving me the courage to do so, as I'm English and tend to shy away from confrontation. Thank you. I mean that. Kudos to you all. :slight_smile:

As a final update, I have been invited by Sony to discuss the matter with them, which I won't. They have sent me several email's asking for my opinion, which I haven't answered as I probably would not be so polite. And to think when I worked for them, I thought they where the best, and so generous too.

What happened? :rolling_eyes:

Anyways, I hope good karma comes to you all for you invaluable input :rose: :sun:

Kind regards :handshake:

Richard

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@rsebre said:-

It's such a shame that nobody makes a 32" HD 1080p TV anymore as I'd be happy with just that.

??? Did you miss something off your criteria, like 3D or curved, or similar?

Here are 3 such sets offered by Richer Sounds, though understandably you might only want to consider 2 of them 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

My TV has just decided to do it's update I will report back.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

So far so good, remote more responsive and predictable and no remote freezing it seems.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
chapplerm
Explorer

Hello,

We have had this issue as well.  NetFlix is the cause exit the application using the menus within NetFlix and I think it will solve your issue it has for us.

Rob.

chapplerm
Explorer

Hello,

We have seen this before on our new Sony.  We think its caused by NetFlix.  Within the NetFlix application keep pressing back until you get an option to exit it. Do that and then turn off your TV.  We have found this stops the issue.

Rob.

chapplerm
Explorer

Hello,

If you use NetFlix like we do we have found that if you exit the application by pressing the back button until you get an option to exit and selecting that it won't turn back on so you don't have to boot up your TV everytime you need to use it.

Rob.

alanxce

I checked for update availability this afternoon and there it was so I downloaded it and started the update process. That was at least 1.5 hours ago and my tv is currently dead. It will not respond to the remote and the on/off switch at the back has no effect. 

I have had these updates take a long time in the past but usually with some indication of activity on the screen. This time I have seen nothing since I agreed to install.

Anyone have any ideas? I have yet to pull the power plug but getting tempted in the absence of any activity.

UPDATE: After 2.5 hours my patience finally ran out. I pulled the plug and when I put it back on again I got the icon telling me not to power off and the arrow going round and round. Signs of activity at last. It ran through that part of the update followed by the updating of all the apps. Now all is well and working fine and I remain a satisfied customer.

mk1.golf.1983

I'm not intending to gloat but I will say that 3 weeks ago we returned our Sony KDL43W755C after approximately 10 months of ownership and it's the best thing that could have happened, not even the six replacements could rectify the many faults we had suffered.

The new TV is a Panasonic TX50DX700B 4k smart tv and it just works, admittedly the picture quality was better on the sony but only on the SD channels. We ended up also purchasing a Humax Freesat box as the Panasonic didn't have the satellite connection the sony did but, picture quality is now excellent (better than Sony's) on all channels, the sat EPG is great unlike Sony's and the record function is also perfect unlike Sony's. 

Those that are unhappy with their Sony tv's should try and pursue a refund, it can be done as these Sony tv's are clearly not fit for purpose.

I'm gutted I didn't do it sooner!

frankie1g

This TV can't do sky uhd. Jugger and skips.since the sky box has been switched to higher Def so  not just a bt problem .Anyone know if anything can be changed in the TV setup to solve this.one month till this TV I'd one year old and I got this TV for uhd tv out put and it can't do it. 

Sent from my Samsung device