Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

People with the 4K stutter issue, have you tried disabling motion flow and film mode, does this fix the issue? Had a similar issue with Apple TV a few years ago and this fixed it. 

hankmarvin107

yep, its not a motion flow caused issue. 

chrgray

@Risc0n, just tested by turning off MotionFlow and Film Mode.  Had no effect, still juddering 😞

I suspect it's likely caused by these TVs not being able to cope with the high data-rate of 3840x2160 50P on it's HDMI inputs 😞

chrgray

I see on another thread this statement:

@Quinnicus wrote:

Sony are now concentating on the upcoming Marshmallow update.  Outstanding issues will be addressed via Marshmallow now.

Does that mean ALL outstanding issues, including the 4K juddering problem affecting all 2015/16 TVs?  And what is the release date for Marshmallow - before 13th August?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrgray - somehow I just knew that was going to bite me :wink:

I wrote that because it is largely true - however at the time, I was not aware of the BT UHD/Sky Q juddering issues.

What I should have wrote is:

Unless there is a major issue, outstanding problems and issues will likely be addressed within Marshmallow.

Im also not saying that all issues will be fixed immediately either.  

ETA on Marshmallow = Unknown.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@UKPiglet wrote:
Unfortunately that won't happen as only one Sony employee is allowed to post in these forums, and he is a German speaker who doesn't often contribute to the English forum.

Yes, Sony haven't really grasped the idea of social media yet. So the steam we generate in this forum just vents through a safety valve, not even blowing a whistle. Whereas it could be driving a piston that would give Sony some momentum to get these damn TVs properly fixed 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
kevinwoods12
Explorer

Is Sky Q now broadcasting in 4K? What are you guys actually watching to see this judder? Has anyone got a UHD bluray player,  does  that exhibit the same judder? 

chrgray

@kevinwoods12 wrote:

What are you guys actually watching to see this judder?

This - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-myt8ZoVvY

Only seen when the Sky Q Silver box is set to output 2160p50, and only seen on Sony TVs.

Several examples of the stuttering and juddering the Sony Android TV suffers when using an HDMI input on 3840x2160 10-bit 50p
profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

It's already cost them 2 sales from my lack of a Sony recommendation, and
gained Pana 2..

If the 4K doesn't work on Sky properly soon, mine will be going back to
Currys..
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Interesting, Sony Account Manager was updated for Android 6 ( Marshmallow ) support today.