Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Heckie

They could easily uipdate Android to 5.1.1 which I am sure would sort a lot of bugs.

paudanie8

How do we do that?

Heckie

Sony could update the sets to 5.1.1.

profile.country.GB.title
pepitoe

Agree they need to be releasing smaller more regular updates.  At this point I don't really care if stuff like Youview is late, I just want things like the audio dropouts and lipsync fixed. They also need to improve their communication, if the update really needs another two weeks then they must have known that before today.

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

:smileyinfo:

Before you can install the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop you will need to install ADB and Fastboot to your computer. This is a program that runs on your PC/Mac to connect to your Android device through a USB cable and flash the Android software to your device.

Installing ADB and Fastboot is one of the most annoying parts of installing Android factory images, but several new tools make it incredibly easy.:smileyworried:

If you are using a Windows machine, including up to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 you can use the 15 second adb installer to streamline the process.:smileygeek:

Download theADB installer for Windows. Find the file, right-click on it and choose Run as Administrator. When prompted you need to give the app access to run as an administrator. After the app launches type a Y and enter to select yes to Install ADB & Fastboot, to intsll ADB/Fastboot systemwide and to install Drivers. When a new window pops up follow the steps to install the drivers.

After this is installed you should be ready to install the Android 5.1.1

The first thing you need to do is download the just released final Android 5.1.1 Lollipop System images. :smileyinfo:

But this is where it becomes apparent that a custom image may be necessary, as making it device specific is necessary. I'm not sure it would install otherwise. I think if all was done correctly above though with the right(ish) image, using a self signed custom boot Android 5.1.1 would be fine.:smileyangel:

I'm not going that route as of yet as I'm going to get another Teensy Board as see what I can open up via the USB 1 Port. It is the only port that is USB 3.1 Superspeed so if I can daisy chain in I will or I might have to use a rasperbyPi USB Device to allow me root access. :smileyinfo:

The X1 Processor inside is more than upto the job, but don't do as I've mentioned above, at all. I don't mind waiting another month to see what the next official firmware comes out too see what it brings..:smileyztele:

Kind regards

Richard

Janekch

Most of us has android mobile phones. After checking TV system by Kodi appllication I found that my TV kd55x8509 has 1.5Gb RAM and old procesor. During working  TV has only 300Mb for using it is not enough to work property. My mobile Motorola G is 1 year old has 2Gb RAM. TV is like a cheap 10" tablet. Cheap parts, cheap design and my touchpad remote died after two days. 

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Are they having a laugh? The night before the update? What part of unnacceptable do they understand? I saw some people are complaing to BBC Watchdog? Has anyone had any luck with them?

Sony I think you need to read the new Consumer Rights Act. Stop lying, ducking, diving and outright taking the micky out of your loyal and paying customers. 

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

DaM3k0n

I'm half way through my 90 days and fully intend to return in on day 89... moving the date again is taking the pith!  

Hasn't a Class Action Lawsuit just become an option here in the UK?

paudanie8

What do you mean 90 days?