Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Twobins

How long have you had the tv? They took mine back on the 89th day without any trouble.

Twobins

John Lewis give you 90 days to return items youre not happy with.

anjenki75

@malcolm1962 wrote:

It might well be capable of supporting IPTV EPG channels, but BT will not be making its channels available via Sony Youview, valid subsription or not. 

I'm struggling to understand why you quote the Sky / Now TV link as an "advantage" when its clearly a very limited offering on YouView and it looks very unlikely to be included on our Sony TVs.w.  We have to be realistic here, all we are going to get on our is YouView-lite, basically the Epg and the ability to scroll back 7 days.  I'll be sticking with my BT YouView box, as this provides a far superior offering than what is being promised by Sony.

Well I am skeptical too (hence why I am returning my TV), but I expressly asked customer support months ago whether it will support recording in the way the YouView PVRs do along with these BT subscription channels. They told me it won't support recording (a fact they now state on their support website) but they said it would support the IPTV channels... they have of course been wrong before :wink:

With regards to YouView-lite, I think maybe you are misunderstanding what YouView is? It is a platform established by a consortium to standardise access to online content, so the whole point is that devices are all capable of the same features, provided the customer has the required access. This is why these extra channels do work on retail non-BT YouView boxes and boxes from other ISPs, if you have a valid subscription and Infinity. You pay your money to the same people you pay your money too now, just just don't need the box any more. Basically the ISPs deliver their standardised software to the device to enable their various services, so BT can enable BT content to customers with BT Infinity, TalkTalk to their customers, and everyone can get iPlayer etc.. independent of where they bought their equipment. I don't see why BT would actively prevent their channels working on Sony TVs. If they have to do extra work to make it happen, sure, it either won't happen or it will take a while to happen, but otherwise why would they want to stop it working if their customers are paying for their subscriptions?

Of course YouView in TVs is a bit of a departure for YouView so who knows in what ways the rules can be broken (especially if they carry enough weight), but in principle there are only two YouView spec variants as far as I'm aware: one for PVRs and one for "players" that do not record (think of the two boxes BT offer). Presumably Sony is following the latter, but they did state in the What Hi-Fi review that they want to add PVR functions at some future date (yeah right!!). Of course like I say, I am still very skeptical it will actually work properly on Sony's TVs, but in principle it can work.

I don't get why you are fixated on Now TV, it is just one of the VOD services on YouView - Now TV only provide movies on YouView, the other stuff is not available for licensing reasons. This has nothing to do with Sony it is like this on all YouView devices. The only reason I mention Now TV is simply as a comparison to the other routes that manufacturers can go when it comes to supporting catchup and VOD services:

1. They do it themselves - write apps/try to get the content providers to write apps for their proprietary platform (think Sony 2014).

2. Pick a third party OS and hope the apps appear on there (Android, Firefox OS).

3. Integrate with a platform provider: YouView, Freeview Play, or Freetime. Of those, YouView is the furthest along with its content and support for multicast IPTV, Now TV being simply an example of that along with BT's on-demand content, Netflix, milkshake, BT Sport apps etc. The whole point for a manufacturer of integrating YouView is that you don't have to continue to support the platform and all the apps yourself as the TV gets older. Content providers write & maintain the apps, and they work on all the YouView devices.

A tenner says it won't happen though. :wink:

dabaldw48

Its gone! John Lewis will be collecting along with the Soundbar

For the same price, ordered an LG from Amazon which is superior, with 4K and has fantastic reviews
oXide11
Explorer

I have bought 50W809C just two days ago, and i think about returning it, coz no applications such as skype and that is 2x ARM processor. 2 GiG ram. It looks like my 5y old ipod has more power than this tv. The software support looks like ea games, they pushing out of doors unfinished products.   

What Happend to You Sony. Years ago u have been one of the best brands, with quality products. Now comercials aims for yours primary target.

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

"Unfortunately the firmware update planned for the 13th of October for UK residents will be delayed to the 28th of October. During final testing, technical issues were found, which will require time to correct. We will provide you with more information prior to this date. 

The firmware will resolve, improve or add the following features to your TV:

• Netflix support for 5.1 surround sound
  • HDMI lip sync issues
  • Green screen displayed
  • Increased responsiveness while using your TV

We aim to have Amazon Video support for 5.1 surround sound available in a future firmware update this year".

So is this just affecting the UK at the moment?  Can anyone from outside the UK on here reading and still somewhere in the EU confirm if they are still getting the "From 13th October "

Robs88
Explorer

In the Netherlands it's still saying that there will be a update on the 13th of october. http://www.sony.nl/support/nl/article/77121

wills_b

I hate you Sony. I hate you so much.

I have never ever been treated so poorly as a consumer. You have ripped me off and then rubbed salt in the wound. Frankly the 49X8305C doesn't even have that great a picture.

I have already talked people out of buying Sony TVs, you might have ripped me off but trust me this fiasco has cost you about 3 times the cost of this TV from me alone.

I will never ever buy anything from you ever again.
Brigante01

Looks like it's just UK that's delayed. Sweden getting it tomorrow as well, http://www.sony.se/support/sv/article/92677

dspencer999

They probably won't - I expect it's just their websites not being updated as quickly as ours in the UK.

My main annoyance with all of this is that the US market are getting updates and we're not.

Surely there isn't that much difference between these markets is there, to delay us a further 2 months?!

I assume this is all because in the US, if in doubt, they sue! Which is what we should all be doing!

I do go along with the person that suggested we all take them back simultaneously on the same day.

And perhaps report it the national newspapers too? Who's up for this?

Friday 16th October? Return of the Sony?!