Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Robs88
Explorer

I translated this massage from the Dutch site to give you guys a update from the Netherlands .

http://www.sony.nl/support/nl/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/android-tv-features

release of the next firmware update, and other improvements that were planned for Sony's Android TV

October 12, 2015

We are aware that some features on our new TV models are not yet available or not working as originally intended and we want to sincerely apologize for the delay. We would like below clarify the status of the upcoming updates for you.

You may be assured that we are constantly working on to resolve the following issues and features to work. Therefore, we begin with a gradual release of the next firmware update across Europe starting October 13th. The firmware fixes, improves or adds the following features to your TV:

Netflix support for 5.1 surround sound problems with synchronization of picture and sound at HDMIWeergave of green screen heightened responsiveness while using your TV

At this time we are also working on refining the HDD recording (REC). It is intended that this function is available for 24 December. Due to the technical complexity of the implementation of this feature, the final release dates can listed on our support website or able to change other information channels.

Regional differences in firmware

A firmware update for Android TV which will be released in Europe, is not comparable to a firmware update in a different region, such as the US Due to considerable differences in legislation and broadcasting standards, there is no one-to-one relationship. For example, two firmware packages with the same number for example, do not always contain the same functions, features or services.

ill be calling Jl today to collect mine. Ill buy the nvidia shield and use my old TV until the sales

@dabaldw48 which model please?

NickCo1979

Came back here after starting this thread to see how you were all getting on. Looks like my decision to ditch Sony was a good one given the contempt they seem to have for everyone with these TVs!!

It's utterly unbelievable the disdain they seem to have for their customers, and the total lack of technical ability in terms of software delivery. If I showed this level of incompetence delivering software to clients I'd be kicked off site within hours! Delaying the update a the last minute? They would have known it wasn't going to be delivered weeks ago but obviously couldn't be arsed to tell you.

I see no-one from the Sony community has bothered to post on here recently, and tweety2b can no longer be arsed, even to give the abuse he gave me last time.

For what it's worth, ditching all of my Sony devices (the TV, phone and tablet) was the best decision I ever made. I'm more than happy with my Samsung portfolio now, and I'd recommend everyone here to return their Sony kit and research the alternatives, whatever they may be (I'm not a Samsung fanboi, just a customer service fanboi :slight_smile: )

Good luck to everyone who is returning their sets and commiserations to those who can't due to being out of time.

L8rs all.

anjenki75

Na it's not disdain, just incompetence

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Ok, cheers @Robs88 and @Brigante01 .

So if Netherlands and Sweden (along with other EU countries) do start to get the updates as from today and so forth, could you please let us know what (if anything) gets fixed, or broken! 

I find it very concerning for a company of this magnitude, and past reputation not having the communication skills to inform their own staff ( let alone the damn customers..... us ) about what is going on until the last minuet!

Yesterday I had a call from Mrs/Miss K.C from the escalations department/ SONY Support team, in that call, it was a very standard PR, damage limitation, butter up the customer with an apology and reassure them that there is an imminent update. It was a call that actually, quite convincingly made me think, as of tomorrow "Hey, this could be the start of what should have been". 

Then a few hours later, this, "During final testing, technical issues were found, which will require time to correct."

I also find alarming, as @NickCo1979 just said, they didn't just know that the software update wasn't fit for use yesterday 12th Oct, and at the last minuet pulled it for UK only! They would have been testing it for weeks! Alarm bells ring because they are setting themselves (questionable qualified software engineers) unrealistic target dates. If they keep doing that, we are going to get even more problems in the future with possible broken updates because they will be pushing them out just to be seen as doing something!  

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

I wonder if Sony do read this forum. I have had professional relationships with Japanese companies in the past and I must say that Sony's ability to lauch a device with incomplete functionality, and then delay corrective software updates is very much against the Japanese Culture. I sincerely hope that they can get it together and roll out satifaction soon. I believe Sony should compensate us for false representation of a product. I have formally notified that John Lewis that I will be returning the set if Sony cannot resolve the issues within a reasonable timescale and now pushing dates back as they are, it looks like they are not capable of resolving it. I had suggested that I will accept a reasonable cash refund, which I will return to them when it works as promised.

On the bright side though (for some) it's looking like there is going to be a large number of Sony 'customer returns' going cheap in the January sales at John Lewis.

Shame on Sony, you must have know before the 12th Oct, you were not going to make a rollout on 13th Oct.

I was asked to fill in a Survey about my TV, which I did, but there was not a question about wether you would ever buy another Sony Product !

Sony did publish my customer review of the TV on their website, when I recommeded that people do NOT buy the TV until it is functionally complete, so they are honnest in some respects.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
NickCo1979

Unfortunately, based on my professional experience in the area it's gone past the "decent engineers, unrealistic business demands" stage and into the phase where the ability of the software engineering teams to actually deliver the functionality at all has to be questioned. It's now almost 5 months since the TVs were released. If you can't fix a software issue in 5 months then the chances are you just don't have the ability to fix it.

Note that I'm being generous there and assuming they didn't find the issues until the release of the TVs. The cynical part of me would guess that the software development for these TVs would start a number of months beforehand, so it may not be out of the question to assume they've had 10-12 months and they still can't fix it.

Either way the chances of it all working as advertised I'd say is now zero. the senior teams involved are most likely working on the next generation of TVs and the company requirements are probably damage limitation and to get past this phase with as little reputational impact as possible.

I doubt they even bother reading this thread any more.

MrLizard

Sony, please try this.

1) Fix one bug, then roll out the release.

2) Two weeks later, fix the next bug on your list, then roll out the release

3) Two weeks after that, fix the next bug on your list, then roll out the release.

4) Repeat step three until your bug tracker doesn't contain any bugs to fix.

This incremental software delivery technique works well enough for PlayStation, why not the TVs?

We need bug fixes first, features next.  Despite the software problems, I am happy with the panel, but I will have to return it if they cannot resolve both:

1) The HDMI lip-sync issue.

2) The TV going unresponsive for periods of time

For me, it is these issues alone that render the TV unfit for purpose, I'm afraid.  I don't care about YouView or HDD recording or anything else, mainly because I can fix that with outboard devices that will nearly always be superior to anything a smart TV can do anyway.  

If these issues are not fixed by October 28th, I will have no choice other than to return my TV to the retailer under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act. 

I'm still convinced that there are systemic problems at Sony.  I sympathise with their development team, as it is clear to me that if this team were given the the resources they need to deliver, then we'd all have working televisions.  It is very disappointing that Sony's senior management are apparently disconnected from the issues, and are evidently running the organisation using spreadsheets rather than bug trackers.

profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

JL must be getting hassled by sony regarding these tv's as they will not replace mine till an engineer has come out to me to take a look - i did say unfortunatley that there was a fault with the screen - 2 faint black lines near the bottom of the screen, across the whole width - so JL want an engineer to try and fix this! I will then try to return the product regardless under the " not happy with product returns proceedure" fingers crossed