Join now - be part of our community!

4K HDR Content on XF9005 Too Dark and colorless, washed out - Pure source.

profile.country.GR.title
Ste571

4K HDR Content on XF9005 Too Dark and colorless, washed out - Pure source.

I have read similar posts about Dark and washed out HDR 4k, (when watched on youtube) but that

did not help my problem.Neither did answer my questions I am not watching 4k on youtube but through an external HDD connected to usb port.

I am new to 4k HDR, and this tv is new and after I tried to play pure , I repeat, "pure" 4k content through usb using the internal tv player, I was really dissapointed.

First of all 4k looks very dark, compared to 1080p (same source) even with the brightest settings I tried. I increased gamma, black, every brightness setting nothing. Its just looks worse and almost unbearable to watch.

Also it looks less colorful than 1080  blu ray and a bit more washed out . I do not understand if there is some setting I must do or if thats how 4k looks like, or it is just the specific model of Sony.

I would appreciate if someone could help . Ty.

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.GB.title
Kenny62
Explorer

I wasted nothing I use the chromecast Ultra for different purposes not just
to watch 4k hdr on this Sony xf9005 which is defective, when I tried to use
the casting inbuilt into the tv it is hopeless it even keeps breaking the
internet connection so the link is broken nothing else in my home does
this,I have tried repeatedly to get somewhere with Sony customer service?
They just stalled, I have had two previous sony flat screens and they are
still working I gave them to friends this xf9005 I have now is defective
just like their customer services ???
profile.country.GB.title
Kenny62
Explorer

PS my internet download speed is 32 megabits amble for this tv to resolve 4k hdr, the tv will display 4k without hdr correctly.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry I don't understand by  "amble" what do you mean. 32mpbs  could be enough for netflix sufficient for prime not enough for YouTube. 

But please verify as suggested against a verified pattern . 

And the integrated chromecast work as well as an external one apart from stadia support. At least on my own a1. Obviously you cannot move it.

profile.country.GB.title
Kenny62
Explorer

Megabytes per second and TV will not stay connected to the Internet in point of fact a message comes up and says periodically this TV is disconnected from the Internet then shortly afterwards it will say this TV is now connected  to the Internet and my XF 9005 it’s obviously got a fault this does sometimes happen you know.

profile.country.GB.title
Kenny62
Explorer

P.s that’s why I purchased a chromecast the tv casting keeps Breaking off connection to the Internet router no other device in my home does that I’ve never had that problem before my previous Sony tv was okay being connected to the Internet, also all apps built into my  xf9005 will not display hdr the picture is to dull, this TV of mine is faulty and Sony’s  customer services are hopeless next I purchase I make will not be a Sony.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

May be your tv is faulty or you have some problem with your network configuration. I do not know. What I can say for sure that my Sony tv does not break any connection and work flawlessy.

32mbps (I know what it means, i do not not what do you mean by saying it is "amble") is very low for HDR streaming, it could be enough for some service not for all. but that doesn't mean it can lead your tv to disconnect.

profile.country.GB.title
Kenny62
Explorer

Ample that should read using mobile phone finger hit the wrong letter.

profile.country.GB.title
Kenny62
Explorer

Others have complained about the hdr fault on the tv I reckon they have made some with a defective master chip it does not seem to be a Firmware problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Kenny62
Explorer

If I use the tvs digital tuner I keep getting messages say this tv is
disconnected from the internet then shortly after it reconnects.
profile.country.GB.title
JBB699
New

I have just come across this thread as I too am having issues with 4K HDR on my 2 Sony TVs. I have a 55 inch AF8 and a 49 inch XG9005 and both have exactly the same issue as described by the original poster ie

when fed a non-HDR 4K picture everything is vibrant, bright and a joy to watch.

as soon as an HDR picture is displayed it becomes dull and lifeless except for the odd bright flash of a light bulb, spark, sun etc. It is the same no matter the source - Netflix, Prime Video, HDD are all exactly the same. On Prime it is so bad that I choose to watch the 1080p versions instead of UHD HDR for Bosch, Homecoming etc

Dolby Vision is even worse on both sets but I’m guessing it’s a variation on a theme

Any thoughts or ideas are most welcome