Join now - be part of our community!

55AG8 - OLD REMOTE?!

profile.country.GB.title
JamesM91
Explorer

55AG8 - OLD REMOTE?!

Anyone know why Sony has chosen to pair the new, 2019, £2299 Sony AG8 with the old remote when even the XG95 comes with the new one... Feels a bit of a sly move by Sony that, they should be offering free swaps to the new one. 

Tags (4)
6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi James,

Welcome to the community.

I'll see if I can find this out for you. Maybe someone else in the community can help in the meantime.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

AG8 also has the slow and buggy processor from 2016 (MediaTek MT5891) inside. It is Sony's entry-level OLED which doesn't have the latest and "greatest".

profile.country.GB.title
JamesM91
Explorer

Really?  That's disappointing. I'm trying to determine what makes it currently £600 better than the AF8. Is it simply that the stand reverses, props the tv up higher and allows for a sound bar? 

I haven't seen any (non promoted) reviews yet that tell me otherwise. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

AF8 and AG8 are pretty much the same. What I read about AG8 is that they stripped Dolby Atmos support which of course is of artificial nature.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

The XG90 I have (2019) also comes with the 2018 remote and previous generation mediatek hardware.

profile.country.GB.title
kegrego10
New

I agree even my old Samsung had a sleek remote, this AG8 remote is cheap and plastic looking not what you'd expect from Sony