Join now - be part of our community!

A1 very slow internet using a wired connection

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

A1 very slow internet using a wired connection

Hi there new to the forum

Proud new owner of a 55inch A1 oled

I am having trouble with the wired connection to the internet.

I have a new cat6 lan cable from my router direct to the tv

I can connect by wired lan from the router but only get a download speed of 10 to 15mb even though I am on a 150mb service.

I have ran a speed test on a wired laptop using the same port as i used on tv with nothing else connected and the speedtest came back as 45mb which would be acceptable.

I am having trouble watching amazon prime on hd because of the slow speed.

I have looked on google to see if there is a solution but as the tv is relatively new there is very little information.

Are there any settings that I should use to make this better?

Please can someone give me an idiots guide to make the A1's internet speed better

Thanks for any help

Best wishes

Bill

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Barcabod wrote:

I can connect by wired lan from the router but only get a download speed of 10 to 15mb even though I am on a 150mb service.

I have ran a speed test on a wired laptop using the same port as i used on tv with nothing else connected and the speedtest came back as 45mb which would be acceptable.

Via Ethernet neither those speeds are acceptable. Before troubleshooting the TV connection you should try to get at least 90-100Mbps with your laptop. Actually 150Mbps (full bandwiidth) having a gigabit ethernet in both the router and the laptop. Oh, the Bravia TVs all have a 100Mbps Ethernet port, so you won;t ever get above that, wired.

I'd first try replacing the ethernet cable. How long is it anyway? How far is the router? Also if your router has WiFI 5GHz ac, and the router isn't much too far away, you may try to connect the TV via WiFi. With a good signal it will be actually faster than wired.

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

Thanks for the reply

I have connected the tv to 5g and only getting 5mb

I then ran the test on my tablet using 5g and it came back as 20mb

The ethernet cable is 5m brand new cat6 and is 4 foot away from the tv

Any further help would be greatly appreciated as I cannot get 4k to run on amazon prime 

Best wishes 

Bill

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets take things back a step.  Can you:

• Ensure that you have the most up-to date firmware.  You should be on version 6.2602 and can be downloaded HERE.
  • Please do a complete factory reset of the TV.  See HERE for instructions.

If that doesnt fix the problem, try setting the DNS Server on the TV to:

• Primary: 8.8.8.8
  • Secondary: 8.8.4.4

This will be in the expert network settings

If that still fails, can you also reply back with:

• What ISP are you with?
  • What is your router make/model

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I doubt it is the TV since everything he has is very slow at downloading. Well, compared to the maximum bandwidth.

My money is on the router. I'd try to reboot the router first, then to check if there is any FW update for the router available and install it in case, and if it is still slow I would reset the router to factory settings.

If it is still slow (as in much below 150Mbps) with all devices, I'd have the router replaced by the ISP (I suppose they own it).

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

The router is a virgin media superhub 3 which is the newest one virgin do.I have re set the router and made sure it is on channel 6 the least used channel according to a wifi analyser.I really wanted to run the tv off a wired connection as I think it is more reliable.

What i cant understand is that a wired connection to a laptop is giving 40mb then when I put the tv into the same output its only giving 10mb this is making me think it is the tv.

How and where do I go to change the dns and is this advisable

Thankyou for your continued help

Best wishes 

Bill

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

Just for information I am using this ethernet cable  http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/power-and-cables/computing-c... Is this the right one or do I need something better Best wishes  Bill
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Instructions in changing the DNS Server settings on the TV are : HERE

However as @Jecht_Sin states above, you are on a 150Mbps Virgin cable connection but are only getting 45Mbps from your laptop, I would expect this to be higher on your laptop to be honest.

I dont think your ethernet cable is the problem.  I think its likely on the ISP or router end.  I think your best bet is to contact Virgin and get them to test your connection etc to figure out why you are only getting 45Mbps. 

Why you are only getting 10Mbps on your TV - I dont know, but fix one problem at a time, but this might fix itself by resolving the other :grin:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

First of all, to clearly understand, we should use the right units.

• Mbps = Mega bit per sec
  • MB = Mega bytes
  • 5G is the new standard after 4G (LTE)
  • GHz = Giga Hertz (which is used for the frequencies)
  • mb = nothing

Sorry for being pedantic, but it gets hard to understand. So let's see if I understood correctly:

• Your internet bandwidth is 150 Mbps
  • You reach 40 Mbps with your laptop, wired
  • You reach 20 Mbps with your tablet with WiFi at 5GHz
  • You reach 10-15Mbps with your TV wired, 5 Mbps via WiFI 5GHz

All the above values are bad. You must reach at least 100Mbps with your laptop, around 150 Mbps if it uses the Gigabit ethernet. Same with your tablet via WiFi 5GHz. at least 100Mbps must be there when next to the router (you can move it unlike the TV).

Then, regarding the TV, speedtest.net beta (on the TV) isn't really reliable. Sometime it gets slowed down by the CPU. And do not make me start about its ads spamming. I'd suggest to use fast.com which is lighter.

Please check the TV bandwidth again with fast.com and then report. Although I am still convinced something is very wrong with the router. I'd call Virgin if I was you. Mentioning the quite low laptop bandwidth, They should have the tools to see if anything is going wrong inside the router itself.

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

Thanks for your replys guys

The speed test i have just  ran on wireless is around 25 Mbps on 5 GHZ and 20Mbps on 2.4 GHZ

Not had time to do wired as wife watching the athletics. I will do that tomorrow using the website you suggest.

The router is new and was installed last week the engineer left his number in case there was any problems I phoned him tonight and he said that in my area they were upgrading and this should be done over the next couple of weeks.

I suppose I have to believe this and will continue to test over the coming weeks.

Another quick question and hope you can answer

I am finding the tv to be a little dull. I have tried changing settings like brightness and contrast but still it seems a bit dark. I have imputted settings from flat panels and ratings websites and these make the picture worse . Will the tv settle after a few hours and become better .

I have thought about doing a factory reset but I am a bit worried to do that, would there be any mi,eage in doing so.

Any suggestions for picture settings would be gratefully recieved.

Best wishes 

Bill