Join now - be part of our community!

A1 very slow internet using a wired connection

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

A1 very slow internet using a wired connection

Hi there new to the forum

Proud new owner of a 55inch A1 oled

I am having trouble with the wired connection to the internet.

I have a new cat6 lan cable from my router direct to the tv

I can connect by wired lan from the router but only get a download speed of 10 to 15mb even though I am on a 150mb service.

I have ran a speed test on a wired laptop using the same port as i used on tv with nothing else connected and the speedtest came back as 45mb which would be acceptable.

I am having trouble watching amazon prime on hd because of the slow speed.

I have looked on google to see if there is a solution but as the tv is relatively new there is very little information.

Are there any settings that I should use to make this better?

Please can someone give me an idiots guide to make the A1's internet speed better

Thanks for any help

Best wishes

Bill

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Regarding your speed connection issues, I'm having exactly the same issue.  Went to the trouble of running a 50ft network cable to my Sony A1 to improve the network speed for 4k Netflix etc. only to find it showing slower speeds.  

You can actually run a speed test through the Netflix app itself (>settings >check your network).  When connected to my 2.4Ghz wireless network the Netflix app reports a download speed of 42Mbs and when connected via the wired connection it reports 33Mbs and won't even stream 4k content at anything above 720p.  I've taken the connection out of the TV and plugged it into a laptop where speedtest.net reports a download speed of 150Mbs! I'm on a Virgin 150Mbs connection and have just had the router replaced.

I really can't understand why the Sony TV is getting such a bad connection using the wired port.  I've configured the DNS as per a previous suggestion on this thread and this has made no difference.

profile.country.GB.title
Dpedraza
Explorer

I am having similar issue to load HD or 4K content with the Netflix app. My network settings are the following

Internet bandwidth is 500 Mbps.  Download/Upload 
I reach 500 Mbps with your laptop, wired Gigabit Ethernet
I reach 120 Mbps with your tablet with WiFi at 5GHz
I reach  80 Mbps average on the TV via WiFI 5GHz, this by doing tests on fast.com and the network check on the netflix app (I cannot have it wired because of the layout I have the devices, however the router is in the same room 3 meters away)

The freaking netflix does take a while to load, sometimes I have to stop the loading and restart it again and sometimes it solves the issue. I have a roku device and I have no issues at all. 

I have no issues at all with all the other wireless devices I use, only with the TV. Any suggestions? Or known issues? 

profile.country.BG.title
mcdrun
New

I have the same issue - 2018 still not resolved.

Sony TV is a piece of [edited by moderator to remove profanity]

profile.country.GB.title
James35w
Explorer

I would love to watch Netflix in 4k quality, but my internet is slow as a snail and I could not do anything with that. I extended the range of my wifi router, I used the ethernet cable and I still can't have enough speed to watch even in 2k quality. The only one thing left to do is to change my Internet provider to a better one, to have a better speed plan. I've heard that this could be done easily via https://usave.co.uk service as this one is the best on the market and a lot of people have used it at least once. A lot of friends of mine told me that I will be able to find the best providers in my area, the only one thing that I will have to do is to give them my postal code and they will make all the necessary job for me. I think I will try, there is a lot of TV series that should be watched in really good quality

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

What issue? that with 80mbps Netflis does not run 4k video?!? It needs only 15,2mbps....