Hoping to buy an OLED TV .

Not sure which one to buy.

Any advice welcome.

Thank you.

John

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

firstly: is OLED worth the money vs LED? My answer, having bought a 55AG9 a few months ago is "most certainly". My previous TV was no slouch - a high-end 47" Panasonic 2K LED - but the OLED picture is so much better.

secondly: is 4K a lot better than 2k? Yes it is. It's not so much the higher resolution, IMO, but it's the HDR and WCG, especially when watching Dolby Vision content. They make the picture look so life-like. The lighting looks wonderful - like a Vermeer painting.

thirdly: AG9 or A8? As far as I can figure out, the only things that differentiate the AG9 are a better motion processor and a better Acoustic Surface sound (more acoustic power). Whilst Acoustic Surface+ sound is far better than my previous TV's speakers, now that I've bought a good Dolby Atmos sound system I hardly ever use the TV's speakers.

Which just leaves the AG9's better motion-flow processor. I don 't know how significant that is but I find in life that if you don't get the best, you regret it later.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Ag9 and a8 shares the same electronics but A8 has a newer OLED panel which implements BFI at 120Hz so on motion handling it has a wider option. Apart the the building material, the pedestal and some difference on the audio (including what has been already wrote and the possibility to use it as a center channel for the AG9) they are the same tv. So I would go with the A8 for the same price. Or whatever is less expensive

profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

So are you saying that the A8 is a better TV than the AG9? The A8 is about £500 cheaper (at Sony prices). Sony is advertising the AG9 as the better TV, marketing it as one of the "Master Series" TVs.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It doesn't spot the master series badge, but yes in my opinion it is slightly better than AG9 (last year model) due to the 2020 BFI. All the rest for the picture quality is the same and it makes use of the latest software layout (even if they are selling newer AG9 with the same)

profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

Damn. I bought the wrong TV, then. Never mind - the AG9 is an amazing TV

what is BFI? I looked it up but I couldn’t find anything that might be relevant.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You didn't buy the wrong product. After one year the a8 is only slightly better in one aspect of picture quality. It is still a fantastic product. I am still in love with my own 2017 A1 
BFI means black frame insertion that is a technology that reduce motion blur by inserting black frame between the source ones. It is present also on earlier panel such as yours and mine too but now it can be modulated till 120 hz (while previously was capped at 60 hz) reducing the lowering in brightness and flickering that made it  unusable on oled before. But it may help only on fast moving scene (I.e. sports). 
Have fun with your own tv and don't mind on any new feature that will be introduced or price lowering. It will always be the case with electronics.
profile.country.IE.title
Hourigan1
Explorer

Thank to everybody for their advice.

Will make up my mind in a few weeks time.

Appreciate.