Join now - be part of our community!

Airplay support for Sony AF9 OLED

profile.country.NL.title
atselvan
Explorer

Airplay support for Sony AF9 OLED

Will there be a firmware update for the Sony AF9 for Airplay 2 support?

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @atselvan, welcome to the Community.

We will need to wait and see I'm afraid; as yet there is no word regarding the availability or content of future updates.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Fuzyphil

Imo it will appear in a firmware update sooner rather than later. Apple have now released a firmware update ios 12.3 for aurplay2 and Homekit2 in the iphone and ipad and they will be keen to get there own streaming app on to as many methods of outlet as possible. The Airscreen app allows airstreaming and is very good at it so the AF9 is more than capable of doing apple airplay.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Fuzyphil wrote:

Imo it will appear in a firmware update sooner rather than later. Apple have now released a firmware update ios 12.3 for aurplay2 and Homekit2 in the iphone and ipad and they will be keen to get there own streaming app on to as many methods of outlet as possible. The Airscreen app allows airstreaming and is very good at it so the AF9 is more than capable of doing apple airplay.

Keyword: Apple. Apple releases a new OS update (one for each family of devices) once every one or two months. Much faster in case of major bugs or glitches. Sony still has to fix the broken Oreo update of February, which is also temporarily (read: indefinitely) suspended..

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Everything that Sony announced in the past to be implemented in a future firmware version arrived with tremendous delay (like DVR, Dolby Vision, Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo). So don't expect this feature soon.

profile.country.CZ.title
Tomtlap
New

So what now? I need a TV as we are moving. Should I buy AF9 and then believe that they will update the firmware or be 4 months without TV because they will release AG9 in September at the earliest? Will AG9 be available sooner?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

AG9 most probably won‘t have AirPlay 2 from the beginning either. Will arrive at the same time as AF9 I suppose.

profile.country.CZ.title
Tomtlap
New

Yep, but there is no hint whether AF9 will have the support at all. Or
there is?
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You are actually right. I just assumed they might do it for all MT5893 based BRAVIAs as they all have the same firmware image. I might be wrong though...

profile.country.CZ.title
Tomtlap
New

Do you think AG9 will be available in September? Or Earlier?