Join now - be part of our community!

All4 and ITV on demand

profile.country.GB.title
TrixieJ
New

All4 and ITV on demand

Having not been told when purchasing my Sony TV that I would need an aerial to access All4 and ITV through YouView, I have purchased BT TV.  I installed the box today, but still the missing apps are again All4 and ITV.  I presumed as I was subscribing to a TV provider that I would not now have to keep my NowTV box so I can access those two apps.  BT are yet to install my aerial to go with the box so hopefully that will definitely rectify the problem - does anyone know if that is the case or has similar experience.  I will never buy a Sony TV ever again - I have had no such problems with my Samsung in my bedroom! 

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
ch3nks

BT also being a part owner in Youview (along with CH4, ITV, Talktalk, BBC, CH5, and Arqiva), it's no surprise they are trying to flog their dead house.

but with Freeview Play having 75% of the same owners as Youview, one wonders where each of their priorities really lay.

BT and Talktalk, understandbly, want to push Youview as they have their own pay platform to push and have no ownership in Freeview.

BBC have to remain platform neutral
ITV and CH4 clearly won't care which one wins as long as they serve ads to the viewers

CH5 have no ownership in Freeview - but their My5 app is 100% freely available to android tv devices.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

BT’s dead horse (sic) has over four million legs. A few more, to say the least, than Freeview Play will probably ever have.

You might well regard Freeview Play as the broadcasters’ discomfited reaction to the effective takeover of YouView by BT, for its own ends. 

You might equally well regard BT as the saviour of YouView, which probably would not have survived in its intended pure Retail form. Though BT are hell-bent on removing the YouView branding from their offering, so the public think it is called BT TV, they are certainly not hell-bent on discontinuing YouView as a technical platform; their experiences with BT Vision have taught them that.

TalkTalk got very few subscribers to any of its Boosts, so YouView’s main value to them was as a double play in the internet market.

I think your analysis of the motivations of each partner, while being essentially plausible, fails to take these considerations into account.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…