Join now - be part of our community!

PCM audio issues sony oled ag8

profile.country.GB.title
SRkirk88
Explorer

PCM audio issues sony oled ag8

Hi there,

I've been having issues with audio coming from the Q acoustics m2 soundbase connected sony oled ag8 tv set to PCM and all devices connected to the tv set to PCM. However the audio seems very muffled and distorted and on few occasions foot steps in films sometimes will make a thud sound rather than a tap. And when there explosions, can hear any detail just sounds muffled. Seems to be worst on the disney plus app.

I have the sound base connected via optical cable, I cant changes audio to dolby or dts as the soundbase does not support these formats. Also I did not have any issues like these when I had a panasonic tv connected to this soundbase, therefore I suspect it may have something to do with the tv.

Any help would be great. Audio through the tv speakers works perfectly, just my soundbar the audio doesn't sound right. I'm considering just getting rid of the sound base and using the tv speakers, as they are not that bad tbh, just missing abit of bass.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry @SRkirk88 but I do not know the soundbase and I am not sure I had a look at the right specification...

Though, from what i read here https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/m2-soundbase.html#specs

• why you connected it by optical? both tv and soundbase support HDMIARC that is your best option
  • The soundbase indeed does not support Dolby Digital nor DTS, so I do not understand which real use you can make of it
  • Setting the tv to output PCM (due to soundbase limitation), will force the TV to output a stereo signal even if the source is multichannel, But it seems you can't do nothing about it
  • The soundbase has 80W speakers, the TV 40W. But the TV is using 2.1 channels and knows about the remaining allowing for a better surround simulation. And it uses Sony acoustic surface that is really great for a TV audio system

Summarizing, I would get rid of the soundbase too.... I make use of a soundbar on my own A1 and is better than tv speaker... but we are talking about an HT with 400W, 3.1 channels and DD/DTS decoding.