Join now - be part of our community!

displaying the image quality being received

profile.country.GB.title
ch3nks

displaying the image quality being received

i have the KD-43XD8305 and am trying to work out how to see on screen what image resolution etc is being displayed.

for example, i use plex and have various levels of quality, SD, HD, 4K, 4K HDR.
at no point does the TV confirm that is being received and being output. i see other makes (LG etc) show a prompt on screen as to what is being output.

so where do i see this on this Sony TV? and does it even support HDR, and in my instance 4K (HEVC Main 10 HDR) ?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

as long as you have full screen picture output is always 4k. And AFAIK that can not be changed (back in the day samsung B series had an option to show original size). And info about media is usually provided by player not the TV.

Have no idea about HDR. That is D series from 2016 and back then HDR support was more like sticker on the box than anything else since TVs did not meet most of requirements for HDR.

profile.country.GB.title
ch3nks

of course the screen resolution is always 4K, but i'm talking about what the source is.

ie is is 1080p upscaled to 4K or native 4k etc.

there should be a way to see on-screen what is being displayed.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

As @kinggo01 explained is the player that should show the quality of the source (youtube does it, Nova Player does it, Kodi does it, Plex I do not know since I do not use it. The tv cannot understand what was the original content once is rendered by the player. 

BTW XD83 can display HDR10 and HLG (and you'll find the information if engaged by showing the profile used in the image setting via action menu)