Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

I just read about the upcoming Nougat update for (US?) sony TVs, for example the KDX8300D.

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83, and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Thanks!

346 REPLIES 346
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

colilee98 schrieb:

No, normal practice. Were you sold the TV with promises that it would get an update? Any update?

Well, probably somebody needs to welcome you to the smart device world...

As an otherwise Apple user I am probably a bit romantic about updates, but given the awful state Android TV and Sony/MediaTek drivers are in, those TVs literally cry out for them.

Also keep in mind that those devices store more and more of our precious data, requiring security updates to keep them safe.

And your statement that Sony didn't promise any updates is also wrong. They in fact promised Nougat to come to the whole Android TV line-up at CES2017. So they should better deliver on that. And given the still bad state I wouldn't stop there.

globaltvmarketshare.jpg

Sony should do anything to make peace with customers.

If you want to find out more about why I think those TVs are really bad, you can read my review.

profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

I would prefer it if Sony sent out the update straight to Android Oreo as soon as available.

maybe 1st the most recent stable firmware update of Nougat for all

then Oreo as soon as available.

i have a 2015 TV. I am planning on getting a 4K TV and will probably wait till Oreo is out. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter I do know your position towards Sony Tvs and I do not want to argue with you but it is not fare to share partial information on such matter as the status of a company.

Your graph show the unit shipped by brand, but you may know that in the latest years Sony reshaped it's target to produce and distribute only mid/high market on television. On the same site you can find the results of this new strategy in terms of economical figures. Less units sold doesn't mean that Sony is going bad, rather the opposite.

Schermata 2017-09-08 alle 19.20.49.png

profile.country.SE.title
joeldeluxe

Is there any update on the timetable for AV1? :slight_smile: 

profile.country.GB.title
stevenhenry

Isn't it about time we got the Nougat update for the XD93 etc? Oreo is out and we havent even got Nougat yet :frowning2:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Marshmallow got postponed till April 2017. Do the math for Nougat... Hint: you just need to add one year.

profile.country.GB.title
stevenhenry

Hope not wasn't it meant to be Q4 of 2017? Hopefully sooner rather than later

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Just check out the previous page:

Kuschelmonschter schrieb:

It is still autumn/Q4 for ATV1, see here.

And guess what? Marshmallow was also planned for 2016. Didn't work out as we know :wink: . So I wouldn't hold my breath...

profile.country.GB.title
colilee98

It's scheduled to be announced in Autumn when it will be released (not necessarily actually released then) so I wouldn't plan your Christmas around it to be honest. Autumn only started 4 days ago as well so they could hold off announcing anything for another 3 months and still be on track 😞

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00178825

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Can we EVER hope for proper drivers from MediaTek? This is the single biggest reason for performance issues.