Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

I just read about the upcoming Nougat update for (US?) sony TVs, for example the KDX8300D.

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83, and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Thanks!

346 REPLIES 346
profile.country.GB.title
thelad86
Explorer

Trying to on mine(same set) and TV not willing to properly recognise my USB and/or the firmware on it.

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

Not Surprised, but why have Sony have generated so many issues with Android 7.0.

My concerns are

Issues with HDMI connectivity people report

Failure of 3D Glasses which I use

USB recording issues.

I have W805C model still running Android 5.1 final updates and because of all the issues generated with Android 6 update I have disabled auto update.

I am happy with how the TV performs with few issues, but I stress about an accidental update, like when I had to Factory Reset the TV the Auto Update turned back on an I had to frantically cut WiFi off until I removed auto update setting.

Questions:

Why no rollback facility, I'd be happy to try if I could 'un-break' my TV, without replacement motherboards etc.?

What would I gain from V7 update?

Why cannot Sony get it right first time? (I know that will not be answered)

Has anyone given a good report on a W805C running Nougat? (having tested all the facilities inc. 3D.?

Why haven't Sony Pulled the update with so many issues?

Will my TV continue to work as well as it does now under V5.1 if I update?

Will anything stop work if I don't update?

This is so stressful ! 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

Just one more comment for consideration.

Sky TV, when a firmware update is made, releases it only to a small proportion of their boxes at the start and waits a few weeks for errors to be identified by users.

2) If OK rolls out to a much larger proportion of users and waits again.

3) Rolls out remainder of updates and all seems well.

At all times during this process they have the last full STABLE release available on a 'recovery stream' until the last phase has been settled in then they update the recovery stream to the latest STABLE version.

Sony could learn from this process as very rarely do Sky upset customers as a result of an update. They normally get positive and constructive feedback on their forums.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
justmakeitwork
Explorer

Yes,  this has been extremely stressful for me also. Do not update your TV if you  have the older 5.1 version. That worked fine for my TV. The problems started with the 7.0 update they "recommended"! You will not suffer any issues by not updating.  I wish I had this information before I did this. I had no idea they prohibit you from uninstalling or going back to the previous software. My TV is still crippled and I don't know what to do.

profile.country.GB.title
justmakeitwork
Explorer

Does anybody know how to contact Sony representatives or Executives for help when their Customer Advocacy will not do anything?

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@justmakeitworkwrote:

Does anybody know how to contact Sony representatives or Executives for help when their Customer Advocacy will not do anything?

I would like there email addy as well.

profile.country.RS.title
bbrks011

OK, so despite all the horrifying stories I was reading here, I updated my KD-55XD8505 today, OTA.

Update took about 15 minutes and I have to say all went very smooth.

Only small problem I had after the update was starting Netflix, but after another reboot, all is good again.

So far no complaints.

profile.country.IE.title
sector_ogo
Explorer

I just have updated my Sony Android TV 2015 KDL-43W805C to Nougat and now i can't access the Settings menu at all. I have not tried to do a factory reset yet, i will do it later and will inform you.

profile.country.GB.title
Kevin8098

I also had a problem with the settings menu not opening at all, the screen would dim but no option would show on the screen.. This was about a week after upgrading to nougat however and a factory reset was already performed at the time. I ended up factory resetting for a second time using the pulling plug out and holding down buttons on the TV method to fix the problem.

profile.country.IE.title
sector_ogo
Explorer

Yes, i can confirm that after forced factory reset the settings menu is working again. Looks good for now.