Join now - be part of our community!

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

profile.country.GB.title
diodorus

Android 7.0 (Nougat) Update - Discussion Thread

I just read about the upcoming Nougat update for (US?) sony TVs, for example the KDX8300D.

Any idea if this will also happen at the same time for the (UK?) XD83, and if so if this will fix the 5.1 issues?

Thanks!

346 REPLIES 346
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

@arronshields wrote:

It basically fails at being a TV, forget the 'Smart' part of it, I'd settle for a usable, reliable TV. I've been buying Sony products for 20+ years, this is by far the worst one I've bought. 

I quite agree, I have championed Sony and happily used their products for even longer than that, to say I'm dissapointed with my TV and Sony is an understatement.

I've kind of learned to live with and manage the problems but I'm a little bit tech savvy, my wife wouldn't stand a hope in hell.

It's nice to hear others talking positively about there being an update as I had given up hope of ever seeing any improvement, I will have to think very very hard before buying another Sony TV unless they come through for us.

profile.country.GB.title
arronshields

Yes @continentalgt187 it's a sad state of affairs. I've found if you disable 'Sony shelf' and 'Sony services' in the apps settings and disable Youview (UK) then it's a much better experience. Though ironically this removes the catch-up apps which is the main purpose of a 'Smart TV'. 

The bug list for 7.1 is considerably smaller than the one for 6.x so it gives me hope! 

profile.country.GB.title
executor1989
Explorer

Hello oliveirasam

Did you lose any features (freeview, etc) from your TV for using a Brazilian firmware on a UK model? I’ve found my model on that site too but wouldn’t want to lose freeview.

profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

@arronshields wrote:

Yes @continentalgt187 it's a sad state of affairs. I've found if you disable 'Sony shelf' and 'Sony services' in the apps settings and disable Youview (UK) then it's a much better experience. Though ironically this removes rem catch-up all's which is the main purpose of a 'Smart TV'. 

The bug list for 7.1 is considerably smaller than the one for 6.x so it gives me hope! 

Yes I disabled Youview then I went through all of the Apps and disabled every one I felt I didn't need and there were quite alot.

Obviously I stayed away from any Apps I didn't recognise or might be remotely connected to the operating system and it did make things more stable.

Having said that an hour ago I turned the TV off by the button at the back of the set and also put the sky box into standby as I had to pop out for 20 minutes, when I came home the TV had switched itself on yet again.

Because of this problem, a while ago I set the TV to switch itself OFF after 4 hours if it detects no activity which of course it will do if viewing sky or another input source, only problem is 4 hours into the evening it will tell you its switching off and you have to change a setting such as the volume on the TV to reset another 4 hours.

Because this can be a bit of a pain we went back to the default 24 hours as there is nothing in between but If you are away and it happens the TV will stay on for 24 hours before switching off.

Why cant Sony give us a 6 hour option so that at least we dont have the set staying on for a full day.

Did I really just say that, of course what I really mean is cure the problem, none of my previous Sony TV's ever had this fault.

profile.country.SI.title
mikrohard
Explorer
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

not interested........ MM broke USB and will completely break passthrough.

And I have zero interest in actual TV (as DVB-T) part of that pos.

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Update is alive!

v5.381 for ATV1

Althought, it says in the changelog:

This firmware update introduces Android Marshmallow to Sony's Android TV

profile.country.GB.title
Kevin8098

Just installing v5.381 on my TV now, I'll update on the progress..

profile.country.RO.title
AlbertoA04

Already did it. I have a 55W808C and in my opinion it is lagging sooooo much with this version. I will be waiting, because I think Android needs to start properly and then it will move smoothly. The same happened when updating to Android M

profile.country.RO.title
AlbertoA04

Now it works fine. Needed to update Netflix though