Join now - be part of our community!

Apple tv+ app

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Tektek12

Apple tv+ app

Hi does anyone know if the AF9 will be getting the Apple tv+ app when it comes out?

Just don't want to go fork out for an apple box if the tv will get the app fairly soonish.#

I know Samsung will have the app.

Thanks

31 REPLIES 31
profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

From 9to5Google...a software update to include Apple TV+ and I presume the latest Android TV iteration

Sony is rolling out a software update to its X900H series televisions starting today. That series includes sizes from 55-inches all the way up to 85-inches, all 4K LED models from around $950. After the X900H series, Sony will also be bringing the Apple TV app to “most” 2019 and 2020 models by the end of this year and “select” 2018 models too.

Notably, the app won’t be available through the Play Store, but only through that full system update. It seems likely that, at some point in the future, the app will be moved to the Play Store for updates, but there’s no confirmation of that just yet.

profile.country.GB.title
Talljed

No update for XH9505 yet, reading the press release looks like it will come later in the year to that model.

profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

It looks like sony have deliberately sent out tvs that can’t support apps.

built up the specs but for some reason they are really terrible tv’s.

I have the KD-XG9005.

it a crap tv, there is nothing good I can say about it.

Sony themselves say nothing more will go on it, focusing on lower spec tv’s giving them the new apps.

it’s kind of an admission of guilt over putting out a tv that has no capability beyond what comes out the box.

I feel personally betrayed by Sony as I thought the specs looked amazing and the people that wrote up the “reviews” were obviously not very truthful. 
I do wonder how sony managed to hoodwink so many into buying this TV????

if they ever read these they would realise they duped their loyal customers and would do something about it. 

profile.country.GB.title
IceFireHunter
Explorer

I have an AF8 - a tv which cost £1300+ when I got it just over a year ago and the software in it is unbelievably slow.  I feel the processor is underpowered and from this stems many of the restrictions.  Crazy when you see the power of processors in cheap digital boxes.  I love my Sony picture - just wish some of that money had gone into a faster cpu!

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

I'm very surprised. My 65XG9505 2019, has the same X1 Extreme processor as the AF models and has always been very quick. The latest firmware update I downloaded in December (with Apple TV+) has not affected that, although the YouView app is pants and often fails to work. 

My only issue is the fact that the TV loses all sound randomly and has to be soft rebooted

profile.country.GB.title
IceFireHunter
Explorer

Correction its not an AF8 rather a Bravia KD55AG8 55 inch OLED 4K Ultra HD.

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

Ah well, yes. I had an XF9505 before and it was not a pleasant experience
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

WalderSony
Explorer

As a workaround:   buy an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K

I've bought a KD-55AG8. 

Best TV that I've ever owned. 

Wanted to deploy the AppleTV application but Google says: This item is not compatible with your device.

What shall I do?  I've got a Sony OLED 4k TV and I cannot deploy the AppleTV on it? Come on why? 

After doing my homework I've found a workaround : 

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K  to extend the set of applications actually for peanuts!

HDMI, USB on the TV host the stick, it is cool, it is powered by the USB port on the TV.

I use the same Wireless Internet settings on both devices.

Finally, my 4k TV became much smarter adding this little stick to it,  actually double so smart or even smarter!  

Adjust your picture settings on the FireStick to achieve the 4k and HDR and 12-bit color depth!

Brilliant image quality, great 4k streaming experience, it is simply the best combo ever provided by different vendors ( Sony, Amazon, Apple ) for peanuts!

Spoiler Alert : 

I can even use only one remote controller (RC)  which is actually the RC of SONY KD-55AG8 to manage the Andriod apps / FireStick Apps / Apple services.  This is a bonus and so great and comfortable!

The AppleTV, Amazon, and Sony OLED combination is amazing!  The best 4k HDR experience ever! 

profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

You don't spend upto and over £1000 to do workarounds. Insult...  

go out & buy more boxes sticks & cables for my tv & more power to consume 

Sony should just sort it and get the Apps on my tv or I and others will go elsewhere.

if I wanted a box I would go & get the Apple TV 4K box.

I want Apple TV+ & BritBox to go with Disney+, Netflix & Amazon Prime 

the holy grail is the All Apps 1 device option & preferably it would all be on the TV.

Sony do great pictures but their interface & content is just not there for me on my KD49XG9005.