Join now - be part of our community!

Arc on a KD55X9005C

Richardl10
Explorer

Arc on a KD55X9005C

Anyone know how to set up ARC, I've a Nvidia shield plugged straight into HDMI 1, and an ARC video switch plugged into HDMI 4.
The TV sees HDMI 4 as an audio system and also Sky TV as separate inputs, I can select either, the ARC input gives a blank screen.
I want to be able to watch the Shield plugged into HDMI 1 and output sound to the video switch via ARC, I thought that was ARC was for??

The HDMI cable is a Wireworld Island and is ARC compatible.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I honestly am unsure on what you are trying to do, but lets take a step back for a sec.

ARC = Audio Return Channel

Basically the HDMI-ARC port inputs video from a separate audio system (AV Receiver, Soundbars HDMI connections or some type of All-in-One system) but will also return the audio signal from eitther the TVs tuner or a device connected to another HDMI port on the tv to output on an external set of speakers

Are you using it for that purpose?

Cheers

Richardl10
Explorer

My cables are all built into the wall and are only hdmi 1.4

Up till now I had a Dvdo edge which had one hdmi cable running to the TV and another hdmi cable running to my HT AV processor.......everything was plugged into the edge, which then separated the audio and video signal, this was fine till I got a 4k TV and media player. The edge doesn't output 4k.

So I thought if I can plug the (4k) shield straight into the TV, then plug a cable into the arc hdmi to output the sound, then plug into a hdmi switch with arc built in (rather than the edge). The arc enabled switch then sends audio to my HT processor. The same cable would also send a video signal to my TV, when I'm not using the shield.

I should also add, I can get 4k, if I plug my shield into the TV using the cable that runs to the TV (the wireworld island hdmi 1.4), which I was surprised at.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think that in order to help you, we need you to be specific on all your equipment - make/model.  Also, how they are all currently connected.

Currently i see

• TV - Sony KD55X9005C
  • DVDO Edge (Green??)
  • Nvidia Shield
  • HT AV Processor - Which one??
  • HDMI Switch??

I think specifics may help. If possible a diagram too.

Why do you need the double hop of: 

TV (HDMI-ARC) out > Switch > AV Processor.   Why not do away with the switch?

Cheers 

Richardl10
Explorer

Thanks for the replies, I'll do my best to give you as much information as possible. I'm at work at the moment, so I'll do my best.

It's a Dvdo edge, not the green model.

The AV processor is an old Onkyo PR-SC885, so no 4k available through that.

I'm not sure what the new video switch is, I only got it today, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information with it.

I need a video switch, so I can watch other sources such as satellite TV and a Xbox.

TV.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I see what you are trying to do now.  Unfortunately you are trying to bolt on older technology to newer technology and it wont work the way you propose.

HDMI-ARC was introduced in the HDMI 1.4 specifications.  According to you DVDO Edge manual, this only has. HDMI 1.3.  Other than the specific audio out port on the DVDO edge, but still no ARC.  Your Onkyo reciever also does not support ARC.

I would propose using an optical cable from the tv to the onkyo receiver instead - See diagram 1.

If by any chance you actually need more HDMI Ports than the 4 on your Onkyo reciever, see diagram 2. 

Diagram 1

_20151022_020806.JPG

Diagram 2

_20151022_020935.JPG

Richardl10
Explorer

The dvdo edge has now been replaced with a cheap arc enabled hdmi switch box, I shouldn't have put the edge in the pic (sorry about that) . The Sony TV is seeing the new switch box as an audio device on screen, but no audio is being passed through to it.