Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

That firmware doesn't help anyway, I have it on my XE, still no 4K iPlayer

profile.country.GB.title
lukejohnson

Did you force the firmware on your XE as its not officially released yet?

I forced the update (downloading and using storage drive) as the firmware date code and version (v6.5603) is identical to the other “newer 2017-2018” models on the download/support page.

The update worked and the version is listed in the OS, but Android Nougat isn’t present nor of course the ability to support HGL on BBC iPlayer.

The whole thing is a complete joke and I feel Sony has sold me a weak product. My suspicion is that Sony must have used inferior chipsets and processors on many 2016-2017 models which are struggling to cope with the HLG codec which BBC and NHK have developed.

My only personal hope is that my Apple TV 4K will release the technology (with Apple being a forward thinking company unlike Sony) at some point but one thing is very clear is that I will never buy a single Sony TV or any other product EVER AGAIN!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@lukejohnson  schrieb:

The whole thing is a complete joke and I feel Sony has sold me a weak product. My suspicion is that Sony must have used inferior chipsets and processors on many 2016-2017 models which are struggling to cope with the HLG codec which BBC and NHK have developed.

Not at all. TV business is largely about money and contracts. Seems like Sony and BBC didn't strike a deal. It is an artificial limitation.

In Austria we receive WC2018 web stream at 2160p50 HLG (~36mbps) via ORF TVThek on Samsung, Android TV and Apple TV 4K. Was able to see it working on a XE90 and A1.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@lukejohnson wrote:

Did you force the firmware on your XE as its not officially released yet?

I downloaded it before it got pulled, it was available on the website for a short while. It was already officially released but then withdrawn.

profile.country.GB.title
ScrattyTV

Can I ask why you think Nougat is not present in v6.5603? It shows as Android version 7 on my XE93 which I thought was Nougat. I also don't seem to have Dolby Vision available now which was there on the previous firmware version. I wondered if that was why this version was removed? 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

FW v6.5603 of course is Android 7.0 Nougat. It got pulled because it bricked quite some TVs, requiring the mainboard to be replaced.

profile.country.GB.title
lukejohnson

Android Nougat has a new look and feel to Sony’s embedded OS, therefore as previously mentioned I forced the update using a storage device which upgraded my system to v6.5603 but it obviously hasn’t properly performed the upgrade to Nougat....if you have forced the update too then you may be in the same situation as I am.

I guess im am just grateful that the forced update didn’t kill my TV as previously mentioned by other users on this forum...although I’d be straight onto Sony to get it fixed under Warranty...THATS OF COURSE IF THEY CAN BE BOTHERED TO FIT IT!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@lukejohnson  schrieb:

Android Nougat has a new look and feel to Sony’s embedded OS, therefore as previously mentioned I forced the update using a storage device which upgraded my system to v6.5603 but it obviously hasn’t properly performed the upgrade to Nougat....if you have forced the update too then you may be in the same situation as I am.

That's just wrong. Nougat is the old OS from 2016 which has been on Sony ATV2 based sets for about a year already. And has the same old look and feel as Android TV Lollipop or Marshmallow. The new content first design will come to Android TV 8.0 Oreo which on Sony we are still months away I suppose.

Just Google it. You will also find some videos on YouTube...

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

just a heads up but  iplayer is  also  goving  4khdr Wimbledon coveragefor any tennis fans out there.

re the firmware talk earlier i doubt if that wil help you to get the iplayer hdr world cup matches. its the  iplayer app itself which sony needs to work with the  bbc tosort out once they  have the current iplayer app will just need  to be  updated independently to any  FW updates. I thought that tennis would be too  fast  for the iplayer app to cope with but  using the iplayer app on my virgin V6 box right now and no  motion blur and crisp bright picture with great contrast and detail too.Shame im  having to use an external box to get the content but  the content itself is very good so now just back To Sony to pull thier fingers out and update the  iplayer apps on our tvs.

this  thread has got extremly long since i started it  but just to clarify im using a 65 xe9305 which has the extreme  x1 chip  and no problems with any  hdr content even at high frame rates.

and HLG on this model is defintely supported it  shows under the colour space menue on  my tv.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@Risc0n wrote:

@romipat

I appreciate that you may either have  dyslexia or english is not your first language.

However please can you use paragraphs,  it makes it really hard to read your posts without them :slight_smile:

actually, yes english is my first language  little clue for you  can you see the union jack next to my username ??? that  means English and Admitadly yes, my posts can  and often do contain typos which isnt  surprising as ive had  2 brain operations and can now only use one hand so speed typing is difficult especially as i still try to type as fast as I could wheni could touch type with both hands. All things considered I do pretty well and still do try to help others when I  can. Im pretty sure that if you try you will  be able to workout and understand what I had written in my previous post because the brain in most peoples cases can work out incorrectly ordered or mispelts words. if you cant then  just ignore my  earlier post.