Join now - be part of our community!

Blue Planet 2 in 4K HDR

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

Blue Planet 2 in 4K HDR

Hi

BBC have announced that all episodes of Blue Planet 2 will be available on their iplayer platform in 4K HDR after this Sundays episode:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/blue-planet-II-uhd

None of the XE9005 TVs are listed as being compatible to receive these broadcasts. Can someone please let me know if this is the case?

I don't see why they would not be considering they have all received the HLG update.

Thanks

31 REPLIES 31
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yup pretty much. If it was working it would be working on the Android TVs as it is on the Sony XE70. My blame is totally at Sony's door.

profile.country.GB.title
Swanny01
Explorer

Hi can anyone explain why I can't watch blue planet 11 in uhd on my kd-55xe9005. 

Dont understand why ??

dave11674
Explorer

Have you guys sorted this yet

i think its disgusting they charge £3600 for my 65” and i cant watch this in 4k !!

shame we cant just install another app !!

i had similar problem playing 4k uhd files

atmos sound track wasnt playing

so used kodi to play the files and perfect

dave

profile.country.GB.title
Loofah

I think this is because the TV's haven't been submitted to the BBC for inclusion in the 4k roll out so the iPlayer doesn't see the tv as a compatible set. The tv has the HLG update so can in theory use the 4k output from the BBC, but computer says no...

I asked the BBC, they said my tv isn't supported (no news) but they hope to roll out more 4k content in the future, which is no help at all. There was, i think, a deadline to submit TV's to the BBC for inclusion  and Sony didn't do it.

Now to my mind, the system is at fault here as the output from iplayer is 4k and the tv can play it so there's a simple ***** up in the coding surely?? Or maybe it's deliberate as too many 4k tv owners using the iplayer at once will overload the BBC server. My best guess anyway.

profile.country.GB.title
BerkshireBugsy
Explorer

I bought a 43" 8396 yesterday and hoped to emjoy the Bue Planet II content soon but I'm guessing that isn't the case.

I haven't had a chance to get the TV out of the box yet but does anyone know if the PS4 Pro version of iPlayer supports 4k.? I can't find any reference that it can so that makes me think it's not an option.

So short of taking the TV back and getting one that does support 4K from iPlayer are there any other options out there for viewing this in 4K before it goes?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

profile.country.GB.title
bigcat991
Explorer

I bought the KD-55XE9005 and also noticed that only the XE70 series is supported for the Blue Planet II part 2 of the BBC trial. The XE70 series was the latest TV to be introduced by Sony in 2017 and I believe it had HLG support from launch which was much later in the year than the XE90 which was launched at the beginning of 2017. My guess is that although the XE90 etc. got the HLG update 25th October that was too late for the BBC to include that series of TVs in their verification programme. Anyway I contacted both Sony and BBC and asked why the XE90 was not supported even though it had the HLG update and these are the replies

Sony's Reply

Thank you for contacting Sony support. 

Regarding your Sony KD-55XE9005.

Please note that your TV model will be supported in the future. However, the dedicated team has not communicated us with any updates yet.

BBC R&D

We have worked closely with individual manufacturers to enable the Blue Planet II trial on devices which fully support the open standards we use.  We always want our content to be available on as wide a range of devices as possible and will continue to work with manufacturers to do so. Our published list reflects the output of our already extensive testing.  Manufacturers continue to provide updates but for specific device enquiries we advise that you contact the manufacturer of your product.

BBC iPlayer

Thanks for getting in touch about Blue Planet II in UHD.
This is a trial to help make sure all audiences can enjoy the next generation of high quality TV in future. It’s still a work in progress for Ultra HD and HDR content and we’re working closely with the industry to make sure our content is as widely available as possible.
If we are able to add any new devices to this trial we’ll update the list of devices on the BBC iPlayer FAQ page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/blue-planet-II-uhd

I note that on the BBC iPlayer web site they state that if Samsung release an update to make their TV's HLG compliant they will include their TVs in the trial.

profile.country.GB.title
Swanny01
Explorer

Hi that does not answer the question. Will my sony 4k HDR tv ever support 4k on iplayer

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
bigcat991
Explorer

Hi Swanny01 

If that's not enough then you should contact Sony Support and ask the question again I interpret the reply that my XE90 it will be supported and that's enough for me, remember at the moment it's only a trial and  suspect it will be months before the content in 4K starts to be broadcast by the BBC.

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

I spoke to a Sony rep in John Lewis about it at the weekend and he seemed confident it was being looked on and would be working soon...

greenelk
Explorer

I've a 4K TV model kd-43x8309c - it has the latest firmware on it - despite looking at tables, and pages on this site i'm still not sure (a) if i'll ever be able to see UHD on my iplayer (b) if there are any other routes for me to be able to see it, for example, 4kbluerayplayer/playstation4 via HDMI

Any help/clarification appreciated

confused of southsea