Join now - be part of our community!

BRAVIA 43XG8096 issues with the Eurosport 4K channel (because of HDR) - desaturated

profile.country.RO.title
silent_control
Explorer

BRAVIA 43XG8096 issues with the Eurosport 4K channel (because of HDR) - desaturated

Hi, I bought a BRAVIA 43XG8096 and I have a problem when watching Eurosport 4K. The colors seem to be desaturated. They do not seem as vivid/intense as on other (4K) channels. Even Eurosport HD looks better than Eurosport 4k.

Eurosport 4K is distributed using HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma HDR)... and HDR automatically activates when I switch to Eurosport 4k. I could not find a way to disable HDR.

Is there any solution to this? If not, could I at least get a recommendation on how to tweak some of the image settings so that the HDR image will look better?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You can change pretty any setting on hdr like any other image setting. It could be that the broadcast signal did not set the right hdr type and/or colour space so you may want to change those just to try in advanced picture setting video options from auto to hlg and bt.2020

profile.country.RO.title
silent_control
Explorer

The options at the advanced video settings are greyed out: they are "Auto" for HDMI and BT.709 😢. And I can't change them. Is there a way to change to BT.2020?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Using which device are you looking at those channels? I was thinking about an internal app....I don't know if the device is locking the setting try to change them before connecting the device (it should be on auto for both) and see if it switch when tuning the channel....
profile.country.RO.title
silent_control
Explorer

The input is the "digital TV". It seems that it's always locked on "Auto" and on BT.709.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Ok but why you said HDMI setting in your post? Unfortunately in italy we do not have any 4k hdr channel on dvbt so I cannot check if it is locked for dvbt. In any case it seems like you have a misalignment in color space  one test you may try to do is recording the program and see if changing the parameters while playing back (that will be an app and the setting should be unlocked) the image is now better. If this is the case in any case I do not know how you could change the status.
profile.country.RO.title
McOwen100
Explorer

Another user with the same problem. 

When playing back the recorded program the color space setting is still greyed out.