Join now - be part of our community!

CACHE oh no

profile.country.GB.title
inessex
Explorer

CACHE oh no

I have a Cambridge Audio sound bar with my KD49x Google TV. (I have messaged about YouView in the past. It has so far worked for a few weeks - amazing.) I now have another problem in that the Sound Bar keeps cutting out and ARC appears on it.  I this the TV or Sound bar?  I seem to recall reading somewhere it could be yet another CACHE problem. I do hope not.  

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hi @inessex 

Welcome to the community.

I'll look into this for you and see if I can find out. Someone else in the community may be able to advise in the meantime. Oh wait - I am someone else in the community. Hmmmm....

Here goes then:-

If it’s anything like my Yamaha soundbar, then ARC should appear on it while watching TV.

But a few more details please;

exact model numbers for both TV and soundbar;

how are you getting the sound into the soundbar - down an HDMI cable connecting it to the TV, plugged into the one HDMI port on the TV that is labelled ARC? Or via optical, or what?;

have you got CEC (Sony call this BraviaSync, CA may have their own name for it) enabled on one or both devices?

My working hypotheses are that you have got the sound going into the soundbar some other way, but every so often, the TV figures you should be using ARC instead, tries to enable it and fails;

OR that you are working over ARC, but you have the TV outputting an encoding that the soundbar can’t handle;

The second is more likely, but would not explain intermittent sound; the first is less likely, but would explain intermittent.

Is the cutting out spontaneous, i.e. you are just watching the set, not changing anything, and it does it? Or does it correlate with changes you make, like changing what input you are watching, or going from an SD channel to an HD one?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
inessex
Explorer

Thank you for coming back to me Royabrown.

Sony KD49XF9005 & Cambridge Audio TVB2

When working OK there is just a - on the bar.

Just after the last post I was looking at my phone whilst the lady wife was watching Come Dancing (So bored) The sound went off. Well actually it was just the SubWoofer. Realised it might be the Bluetooth interfenence. Turned off the phone resolved......

However I still have the very minor problem (not Come Dancing) that 3-4 times during an evening of TV the sound will go for a fraction of a second. Only enough time to miss part of a word.  When this happens ARC appears on the bar.

Any ideas???

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@inessex 

Thanks for the model numbers.

But I also need the answers to my second question -

how are you getting the sound into the soundbar - down an HDMI cable connecting it to the TV, plugged into the one HDMI port on the TV that is labelled ARC? Or via optical, or what?;

have you got CEC (Sony call this BraviaSync, CA may have their own name for it) enabled on one or both devices?

to help you progress this.

profile.country.GB.title
inessex
Explorer

Thank you for coning back to me. 

I have connected via ARK on both items with (new) HDMI cable. I will have to look into BraviaSync but all is fine for the drop out for a fraction of a second 3-4 times in an evening.

Again thanks

profile.country.GB.title
inessex
Explorer

Looked into Bravi Sync. Yes the volume is controlled via the TV remote 

Again thanks

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@inessex 

Thanks. I had a look at the CA manual, and there’s not much to get wrong, apart from ensuring that the HDMI connection to the TV uses the ARC port on both devices.

But I see there is an ARC button on the CA remote. What happens if you press this while watching TV?

profile.country.GB.title
spannerzone

Hi, it's probably totally unreleated but I had an issue with ARC on my surround amp where no sound came through until I turned OFF Dolby Digital Plus and set it to Dolby Digital. I wondered if it worth trying?

1. Press the ACTION MENU button on the remote.
  2. Select Sound adjustments in the Display & Sound category.
  3. Select Advanced settings.
  4. Select Dolby Digital Plus output in the Input related category.
  5. Select Dolby Digital.
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@spannerzone 

Yes, the issues here depend on what the TV is capable of outputting, and what the soundbar is capable of handling.

A brief inspection of the manual for this soundbar reveals:-

‘You will need to set your TVs audio output to either PCM or stereo as the bar is unable to understand surround sound signals such as Dolby or DTS’

So setting DD here is likely to be as equally unsuccessful as setting DD+.

Something for @inessex to check, though, that he isn’t trying to stuff anything cleverer than stereo into his soundbar.