Join now - be part of our community!

Connect KD-55AG9

profile.country.GB.title
Rob_A1
New

Connect KD-55AG9

I would like to use my old Sony DAV-DZ630 DVD Home Theatre System with my Bravia KD-55AG9. How???

Just remember I'm not a Techie.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Screenshot_20191209-181356_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Rob_A1 @Marino.Manolo 

Well, that will go one way, and get your SD DVDs playing on your 4K TV, but I don’t know if you want to go the other way, and have the TV Audio playing over the DAV’s speakers?

The TV sound won’t come back down the HDMI cable, like it would on a more modern audio system, as this requires a feature called ARC at both ends, and the DAV hasn’t got ARC.

And the DAV won’t accept optical, and the TV hasn’t got SCART, so you would have to input the TV sound on the Left/Right phono (RCA) inputs on the DAV. And any surround sound you got would be virtual surround produced by the DAV.

You have two ways of getting sound out of the TV; either via the headphone socket, on a 3.5mm jack to two RCAs cable, or via a converter on an optical cable coming out of the TV. Amazon do a basic converter for about £12, so it’s not an expensive step, but this will leave the TV speakers on as well as the ones on the DAV.

So as a non-techie, I would go for the headphone out; this will silence the TV speakers, and still leave the TV volume controllable on the TV remote, for simplicity.

Actually, even as a techie, this is how I have wired our bedroom TV into a little 2.1 (stereo plus subwoofer) soundbar, and we never touch the soundbar remote these days, having got everything set right originally.

But maybe make a note to yourself to consider a new surround system when funds allow, which will have ARC, and preferably eARC (enhanced ARC) which your TV can do, and give you full, uncompressed, surround sound into the surround system.

And maybe a UHD BluRay player, to take full advantage of your 4K screen? This will still play your existing DVDs, even though it has to invent 15 out of every 16 pixels shown.

As indeed will the TV, when you play a DVD now, wherever the sound comes out. And it makes a pretty good job of this.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…