Join now - be part of our community!

KD 55AG8

profile.country.GB.title
johjohns28

KD 55AG8

Hi all. I have the model above and also a BT Box connected to HDMI4. When I switch the BT box on the TV will also come on but it will not display the box content. The TV Input will remain at ‘Digital’ until I change it to HDMI4 with the hand set. Similarly the set will not revert to’Digital’ when I switch the box off. I have to switch back with hand set. My previous Bravia did this switching automatically. I did need to manually change input. Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong? Many thanks - John

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @johjohns28,

have you tried connecting the BT box to HDMI1? Maybe that resolves the issue.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
johjohns28

Thanks for the response but that does not provide a cure - John

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@johjohns28 

Check you have BraviaSync turned on for the TV.

While not recording anything, do a soft reset of the YouView box by holding in the On/Standby button for just over 8 seconds, until the box reboots.

The YouView box should turn on the TV and change to HDMI4.

When you turn the YouView box back to Standby though, you should not expect it to put you back to the input you were on before; expect the TV to remain on HDMI4.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
johjohns28

Hi, thank you for your response. The Bravia Sync CONTROL button is ‘greyed out’ on my TV And I get the message ‘Not available while Sync Compatible Audio System is used’ if I click it. (I have my sound bar on HDMI 3)
When I look at the ‘BRAVIA Sync devices’ list only the Audio System shows. 

John

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

YouView boxes never show up, even on completely working systems, as they implement such a limited subset of CEC.

profile.country.GB.title
johjohns28

Thanks but I do not understand the phrase  ‘limited subset of CEC’. The fact remains that the box/TV combination worked with my previous Bravia as my opening post indicated. Switching on the box will switch on the TV but the set requires manual HDMI selection via the handset to see the content.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@johjohns28 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

The YouView box implements only the first two items, One Touch Play, and System Standby.

And not well. One Touch Play usually turns a TV on, but whether it switches to the right input is a bit hit and miss.

And as regards System Standby, I’ve never seen one turn off anything other than itself.

But to appear in your BraviaSync list, the YouView box would have to have a few more of the CEC options listed for that to happen.

BTW, did you do the soft reset of the YouView box I suggested above? 

profile.country.GB.title
johjohns28

Thank you for the link regarding CEC. 

I don’t think I implied that the BT Box could switch off my previous set (A KDL 55W905 smart TV) when the box it’s self was switched off. However what the TV set did do was revert to Off Air programming when the box was switched off without needing the HDMI input being changed manually.
And, when switching the box on the TV would switch on an be on the correct HDMI port again without needing manual intervention via the handset.

I did do a soft reset of the box as you kindly suggested but this made no difference. 

looks as if I will have to accept that there is no solution but many thanks for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

hi @johjohns28 

There was a suggestion to try the YouView box in a different HDMI port, which shouldn’t make any difference, but perhaps it might - I had a YouView box which behaved itself better in HDMI 3 than any other input.

I think a thing with CEC is that it remembers what were automatic actions, and what were manual; so having to set the TV to the HDMI port the YouView box is on is remembered as a manual action, and so not reversed at switch off.

There’s a strong chance that if the YouView box did switch to the correct HDMI port for itself, this would be remembered as an automatic action, and so the TV might well revert to Off Air at switch off.

So if only we could find a way to restore the desired initial behaviour, this might well solve the second issue also.