Join now - be part of our community!

Firmware update by USB not working

profile.country.DK.title
MattK91
Explorer

Firmware update by USB not working

Hello.

I recently got a new update which pretty much made my TV (KDL43W805C) weird. 
I'm losing internet connection, it restarts all the time, it's really slow, etc. 

I went online and saw there were a new firmware update that fixes this but I had to do it by USB. 
So I found a stick, downloaded the firmware, extracted it and dragged the PGK file to the USB. 
The stick is formatted and nothing else is on it. 

According to Sony's step by step guide on how to install it from the usb it only says to follow the on screen instructions on the tv. 

The ''instructions'' I get is ''Album, Pictures, Music, Register to record, configure as internal storage, Safe removal'' 

I tried tons of USB sticks but it's the same thing every time. 
I tried NTFS and Fat(Default) and Fat32. But which one am I supposed to format the USB drive as? 

I also downloaded ES file explorer and I did see the PGK file in there. But when I try to install it it gives me an error saying ''parsing failed'' .

Can anyone help? 

8 REPLIES 8
rixrix12
New

reboot TV ( long press green key) with usb stick attached

profile.country.GB.title
Matt_BLON
New

Same here. Tried all of the above, and reboot (long press the green button). The TV does not recognise the USB, though it's definitelly working. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

MattK91 wrote:

I also downloaded ES file explorer and I did see the PGK file in there. But when I try to install it it gives me an error saying ''parsing failed'' .

Given that error it seems to me something could be wrong with your pkg file. Maybe during the download of file extraction the file has got corrupted. Another option is that you may have got the wrong package. I would try downloading and extracting the file again.

Regarding the file system Android TV should support FAT/FAT32/NTFS and exFAT. All formatted using an MBR partion table if you use a Mac. Just use NTFS or exFAT, which support the large files.

profile.country.DK.title
MattK91
Explorer

I had a feeling it was because it could be corrupted. 
I have downloaded it 4 more times now and tried NTFS and different FAT types, exept exFAT. I'll try that later today. 

As suggested earlier I tried restarting the TV with the flash drive plugged in. 
Nothing worked. 

And I keep getting ''parsing failed'' when trying to use ES file explorer.
Thanks for the suggestions though 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You do not need to install the firmware via ES File Explorer.  If the TV detects the USB/file correctly then the TV will automatically update itself.

Please ensure that you have nothing on the USB drive and that the actual file is on the root of the USB drive (i.e not in any folders).  Sometimes inserting the drive into another USB port works too.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yes, that as well. Just to be sure after unzipping the file I have actually copied in the USB key both the folder with the package and the single package in the USB key root directory (in other words I had two copies. Either one or the other had to work!). If I remember correctly it started the installation straight after plugging the USB key.

profile.country.GB.title
rowbot
New

Exactly the same problem (offers choice of play music etc) updating a KD-43X8305C to v3.885 after putting the usb stick in port USB1. Ejected it and tried USB2 - same. Tried USB3 - it started updating firmware, yippee. Still updating, but only 15 minutes in ... fingers crossed.

profile.country.GB.title
toubanos
New

I had the same problem and tried downloading and unzipping the file again, changing the USB drive format from NTFS to FAT32 and exFAT, but nothing. The problem was the USB drive though, worked fine when I tried using a different one.