Join now - be part of our community!

Google Play Movies 4K Support

profile.country.GB.title
be11aml

Google Play Movies 4K Support

I'm hoping someone can help me understand if my TV should allow 4K movies to the streamed via Google play movies.

I have a 43XD8088 Android TV, it is a UHD screen and supports 4K from Amazon Video app. However, I am unable to see the option to select UHD quality in Google Play Movies. I believe I used to have this option, before recent software update, although I could be wrong.

There seems to be no literature anywhere about which TVs are supported.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Check out this news from yesterday. No 4K for now on any Smart TV. Total shame if you ask me. I mean this is Google's OS...

profile.country.GB.title
Shkity

I was about to post the same question. Netflix seems to be the only app that actually streams 4K HDR content. Seems ridiculous that i have a tv capable of playing 4K HDR content (KD-49XD8305) yet in order to actually watch any movie in 4K i need to buy a chromecast ultra. 

profile.country.GB.title
be11aml

Sony Android 4k TV definately have the ability to stream 4K movies from Google, as there has been an offer running for TVs purchased recently.

Sony Offers

I have a 2016 TV, which has the most recent update and I hope that I am not a second class citizen already, given the problems with these Android TVs. Iam now even more confident that over the weekend, I could see the UHD movies via the Google Movies app on the TV. Now whether I look on the TV, Android tablet or PC, there is no sign of UHD movies anywhere. I nearly purchased Spiderman Homecoming in 4K for £13.99 at the weekend, to spend some of my Google Rewards funds. I only stopped as I realised that Spiderman was not actually filmed in 4K and is upscaled, which is a bit pathetic. But now the option does not seem to exist anywhere.

This is view from my PC. My guess is that Google or Sony has pulled the UHD option for some reason.

spiderman.PNG

profile.country.GB.title
Shkity

Yeh i saw that 4k version of Spiderman but only on my phone. By the time i got home from work and checked on the TV the UHD option had dissapeared. I would imagine even the 2016 models will be able to play UHD content but guessing Google want to drive sales of the Chromecast Ultra. If they made UHD available on our TV's app then there would be no need to buy the Chromecast Ultra. 

I dont get the whole 4k HDR thing, seems to be a massive mess and the only app that seems to work properly is Netflix. 

profile.country.GB.title
be11aml

It’s back

1069CEAB-D174-4DC7-8F85-9010DCD34651.jpeg