Join now - be part of our community!

home cinema - set up

profile.country.GB.title
Degsy1959
Explorer

home cinema - set up

Advice requested on best way to set up the following kit to obtain best functionality:

Sony 55A1; Sky Q; Yamaha RX V673; Sony BDP-S490 and Nintendo WI

I have Sky Q connected to Sony 55A1 via hdmi and obtain 2160p 10 bit picture. I can’t get functionality from other kit without loosing uhd.

Any advice welcomed on securing full functionality

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Degsy1959,

you connect the SkyQ-box, the Nintento Wii and the Blu Ray Player to your TV and send the audio signal from the TV to the Yamaha receiver via Toslink or HDMI ARC (depending on which of the two options the receiver supports).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Degsy1959 

To add to what @IamNic said:-

The Yamaha receiver has six HDMI inputs, and it has ARC, so I would connect it to the TV ARC HDMI with a high speed HDMI cable.

It proudly claims HDCP compatibility, but is of 2012 vintage, and HDCP has wrong-footed everybody by moving on, so I’m guessing that if you were to try plugging the Sky Q into it, the signal to the TV would drop to HD, or at the least lose HDR.

So yes, the Sky Q must go direct to the TV. The BluRay player and the Wii can go in either the TV or the Yamaha, but it makes sense to plug them in the TV, just like the Sky Q,

So what @IamNic says, so far.

But any further 4K devices, likely an Amazon Firestick or Fire Cube, must also go direct to the TV, at which point, either the BDP or the Wii (probably the Wii) can be moved to an HDMI In on the Yamaha.

I’m faintly worried by what you mean, exactly, when you say “I can’t get functionality from other kit without losing uhd“ Are you saying that plugging in these other devices drags the Sky Q down to HD, or what? Such a drag-down shouldn’t be happening.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @royabrown2,

thank you for adding additional information to my comment.

Just one little thing - while there are adapter cables, the Nintendo Wii only has RCA-leads coming out of it by default, so it would be best to connect it to the TV directly (unless the Yamaha receiver offers a port for it as well).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@IamNic 

Ah - this is old kit, so HDMI is of course not a given...

There is composite, or maybe better, component, available on that receiver. Not SCART, though.

And composite on the TV, but no component or SCART.

But again, the TV is probably the preferred input; and there will be one HDMI still free for another 4K device.

Worth checking though, if the OP has the RCAs handy, if the video on component via the receiver is significantly better than composite  direct to the TV.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Degsy1959
Explorer

Many thanks to IamNic and royabrown all functionality now in place.

Picture judder has always been present on the Sony 55A1 particularly when on rolling credits, footie matches and panning shots. I don’t know if I have the correct technical term but would also use the term stutter to describe it. It seems as though frames are missing resulting with jumps in the flow of the picture.

Any advice on solving this problem is most welcomed.

regards

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You have to play with motionflow and film mode setting (depending on the material you are watching)