Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55XE9005 wifi connection with macbook pro

profile.country.GR.title
Yorgos_Y
Explorer

KD-55XE9005 wifi connection with macbook pro

Hi all,

I just bought this Android Sony which is a great tv at all!

I am trying to connect my macbook by create a wifi network. But I can not indicate the wifi 

through the tv. My iPhone can find the wifi but the tv no. 

Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

The reason I want to do this is beacuse I want to play content over a shared folder  wirelessly.

Both mac and tv have 5Ghz wifi adapter so speed will not be a problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks 

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I am not sure what the MBP has to do with it. The TV should see the WiFi AP like any other device with a WiFi ac in your house. Unless you mean you're sharing your Internet Connection from the Mac (which is connected via Ethernet). But even in that case it should work just fine.

Unless it's the case where the WiFi AP doesn't show in the list of top APs. Maybe try to go to Settings/Network/Network Setup/Expert/See all. The WiFi AP you want to use must appear in there.

profile.country.GR.title
Yorgos_Y
Explorer

the tv can not see the wifi that I create through mac even when I press "see all"..

The other strange think is that when I turn on wifi direct from the tv, even though I can connect with it on my mac, I can't find my shared folders..

What am I missing here??

profile.country.GR.title
Yorgos_Y
Explorer

Why I can not find my wifi network that I creaed on mac?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

So you're using the Internet Sharing. Which version of OS X/macOS do you have? First of all you must make it sure that you see in the Mac the WiFi icon with an arrow (although since it works with your iPhone Mac should be sharing the connection). Another thing you may try is to play with the WiFi Options in the bottom right corner or Control Panel before enabling the Internet Sharing. There you can change AP/Network name, the channel (above 11 is WiFi ac) and the security access. WPA 2 personal is strongly advised, but for testing you can use "Open" as well. Just be aware that anyone around will be able to use your internet connection as long as the Internet Sharing with "Open" is active.

Personally I can't test it right now, and I usually used it in the other way around (shared the WiFi via Ethernet). But when I did I am sure my Android phone used to see it.

profile.country.GR.title
Yorgos_Y
Explorer

I tried this with no luck. The network that I am creating on MacBook is not visible from the tv.

It is really frustrating since it's a really straight forward method in our days.

also when I enable wifi direct on the tv I can see and connect to the network from MacBook.

The problem here is that on the tv the mac appears as "unsupported" device.

Any thoughts on that?

I can't understand why the network that's I am creating on mac is not visible on the tv??

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I really don't know. I could understand if the TV wasn't able to connect to it (it happens sometimes) but it should always see the network. But please be aware that there was a bug (at least in Android 6.0) with WiFi Direct. Once enabled the TV's regular WiFi wasn't working anymore. So keep WiFi Direct disabled.

Also, can you see any WiFi network from the TV?

PS: please tell me which release of OS X/macOS you are using. Like macOS Sierra, High Sierra, El Capitain, ecc. Not that it should really matter, because I always managed to make it working no matter the OS X/macOS version.

profile.country.GR.title
Yorgos_Y
Explorer

I am running Sierra 10.12.6. Also I can't figure out how I can put a password on the wifi network that I am creating on mac. Maybe thats why I cant peer to peer the mac with the tv 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Ok, so I tested it. It works just fine with me. I shared the ethernet interface to the WiFi in the Mac. Like this:

Screenshot 2017-10-04 10.50.25.png

The WiFi AP shows in the television, the TV connects to it and it accepts the password. Then I did some tests with Plex and Kodi. No matter the 855Mbps connection, the LAN performances are abysmal, just in line with the wired connection. I get about up to 12MByte/s, maybe with some higher peaks, but still high bitrate videos will buffer with most protocols. Only WebDAV in Kody seems to get a bit more bandwidth. But from my network monitor it seems to me the max speed is capped at 100MBps no matter what.

So, if you can't make it working, my suggestion is to forget about it. Just use the Ethernet (you may buy an ethernet HUB in case). You wouldn't be getting many benefits anyway going via WiFi.

profile.country.GR.title
Yorgos_Y
Explorer

hi you achieve this by wifi or ethernet?

thanks