Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55XE9005 wifi connection with macbook pro

profile.country.GR.title
Yorgos_Y
Explorer

KD-55XE9005 wifi connection with macbook pro

Hi all,

I just bought this Android Sony which is a great tv at all!

I am trying to connect my macbook by create a wifi network. But I can not indicate the wifi 

through the tv. My iPhone can find the wifi but the tv no. 

Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

The reason I want to do this is beacuse I want to play content over a shared folder  wirelessly.

Both mac and tv have 5Ghz wifi adapter so speed will not be a problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks 

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

[EDIT: Sorry, I made a mess with the replies]

I achieved it sharing the Ethernet/Thunderbolt interface (I have the ethernet adapter) to the WiFi. Basically I turn the Mac into a 5GHz WiFi Hotspot. Then I could connect the television.

profile.country.GR.title
Yorgos_Y
Explorer

so both are connected through modem they are not connected directly right?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Yorgos_Y wrote:

so both are connected through modem they are not connected directly right?

I am not sure what you mean. It works like this:

Modem/Router <- Ethernet -> MBP <- WiFi 5GHz -> TV

The MBP (MacBook Pro) acts as a second router for the TV. The TV doesn't have direct access to the modem/router.

profile.country.GR.title
Yorgos_Y
Explorer

I think that I am talking about something different..

what about if you dont use the modem and just connect the mac with tv directly.

On the Macbook create new network through wifi icon on the menu bar -> Then try to connect the tv to this network directly without modem router. The tv can not connect to this network for some reason

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Oh, great. So it is a completely different matter...

I think I achieved it via Ethernet. But I had to mess up with the system configuration files via Terminal. It's probably possible to do it via WiFi as well, but it would require much more technical knowledge, because one can enable the Internet sharing via WiFi only if.. there is an internet connection.

Still, it isn't exactly something you do from the Control Panel. I think the best option for you would be to buy a couple of Powerline Adapters (PLAs), with two ethernet ports each, and then connect both the Mac and the TV to the two ethernet ports in the same PLA. The other would be connected to the router. In this way you would have a straight 100Mbps connection between the Mac and the TV, and also Internet connection in both. Obviously you would need to buy the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter as well for the MBP.

Otherwise you can do like I did. My MBP connect well via WiFi 5GHz to the router (at about 200Mbps). I have the TV connected via PLA (and thus via Ethernet) to the router. In this way I achieve maximum bandwidth between the MBP and the TV (90-99Mbps, stable). It changes more depending on the protocols used (DLNA, SSH, WebDAV, NFS ecc) than on the physical connection itself.

profile.country.GR.title
Yorgos_Y
Explorer

I see.. what modem are you using?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Yorgos_Y wrote:

I see.. what modem are you using?

I have TIM Fibra (fiber) in Italy. The modem/router has both WiFi 2.4GHz and 5.0Ghz (802.11 ac). If your router only has 2.4GHz your best options are the PLAs mentioned or to buy a second router with 5GHz WiFi (they say the Fritz Box are great) to connect to your ISP modem/router. But in this second case the Mac and TV must not be too far away from the 5GHz router. After 6 meters the signal quality isn't that great already in my home (with the MBP getting a better signal than the TV). Although the Fritz Box are supposed to have better signals. But I've never tested one so i can't tell you more.

profile.country.GR.title
Yorgos_Y
Explorer

great thanks for the info!

What about if you don't use ethernet and connect straight to the modem both mac and tv.

Any lags there streaming 4k  50+ GB with plex?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Yorgos_Y wrote:

What about if you don't use ethernet and connect straight to the modem both mac and tv.

Straight how? You either use the Ethernet or the WiFi to connect to the ISP router (the modem is the part of the box that connects to the phone line and converts the signal. They are two in one: modem and router together). 

Sorry, but your question doesn't make much sense.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I'm sure thats meant in a polite way  :wink: