Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65XE8596 and SMPTE VC-1

profile.country.GB.title
MESWEB

KD-65XE8596 and SMPTE VC-1

I can't watch old BluRay movies from USB stick. Movie file .m2ts video codec "SMPTE VC-1" 1920x1080. This movies have 0 fps and only audio working. Why Sony Bravia Android TV don't support codec SMPTE VC-1? I see lot of people have same problem. Can someone update software codecs?

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@MESWEB 

So that we can be sure that you are not asking the owners of Sony Pictures to help you evade DRM, do you have any examples of legitimate material on USB in this format that Sony TVs should be expected to play?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
MESWEB

@royabrown2 

Nope. I have movi which one have 30 GB size - there is a few trailers with same coding and this working fine. Movie is old from 2004 and BluRay is from 2010. I found lot of threads about same issue. So you want to tell me I have copy of movie which one have DRM security?

Here's demo video https://www.techpowerup.com/download/hd-dvd-demo-1080p-vc-1-ddplus-5-1/

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hi @MESWEB 

I can find three postings about this codec on this Sony forum, two of which, from 2014, predate Sony Android TVs.

The issue with your copied material is not whether it had DRM or not, but whether you were entitled to copy it.

If you weren’t, then I am sorry, but we are simply not allowed to discuss anything that involves illegal copying or playback on the Community.

It does, though, look as if a fee would be payable by Sony if they were to implement this codec on their Android TVs - it is not a freely distributable codec - so both that, its age, and the purposes to which the codec might be put are no doubt behind why it isn’t present.

When you park your car, how do you stop it rolling backwards?

profile.country.GB.title
MESWEB

Hi @royabrown2 

As you see I post link to sample video trailer with same codec SMPTE VC-1 and this video have same play problem. Some trailer videos with SMPTE VC-1 working good but some don't. 

If you buy a car you expect to install wheels from 1990 to this car if wheels are same size? Or company of car say "sorry you can't install old wheels because we don't have licence for this wheel and f..k you we don't refund any pence to you!!!"

Can I refund TV when I discover this issue with older movies?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@MESWEB 

I did not play your link; that would not be a safe internet practice.

If you bought a car, tried to install 1990 wheels and couldn’t, I think you know what the response of the car dealer would be if you tried to get the car refunded 😛

Whether or not you could prove legitimate ownership of the 1990 wheels 🤔

But as we’re on the topic of cars, you didn’t answer the final question in my last posting; can you please do that now, before we go any further?

profile.country.GB.title
MESWEB

Hi @royabrown2 

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/hd-dvd-demo-1080p-vc-1-ddplus-5-1/

this movie is a trailer 2 minutes long. So I need to buy licence for this trailer? 🤣

So if not than why this trailer working good on PC computer but not on my Sony Bravia Android TV?

So I should get full refund from Sony for selling TV which one have basic problem with playing videos.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I think you are joking... call your retailer and see what he thinks about your comparison between what a PC and a TV can do and about playing older codec. Instead of complaining you may simply want to look at another player on the Google play store that may still support it

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@MESWEB 

I despair of any rationality here, but:-

this movie is a trailer 2 minutes long. So I need to buy licence for this trailer? 🤣

No, Sony would have to buy a licence to put the required codec on its TVs.

So if not than why this trailer working good on PC computer but not on my Sony Bravia Android TV?

Because Sony have chosen not to buy the required licence.

So I should get full refund from Sony for selling TV which one have basic problem with playing videos.

Nope. You can get a full refund from the retailer if you can show where in all the Sony literature about this TV that it claims to support this codec.Or if you specifically told the salesperson, when buying it, that you needed this codec supporting, and you were assured that it did.

(@rooobb might know why I keep asking this cryptic question, even if you don’t 😛)

profile.country.GB.title
MESWEB

@rooobb 

I have tried all available apps from store. Only MX Player playing about 4 minutes without problem and after movie freeze.

@royabrown2 

@royabrown2  wrote:

I'm using solid rope attached to wall and my old bumper which one is not supported by car producer (because he didn't buy licence for old bumpers)